Toshiba Satellite Pro C660 - 1ux HDD

Jodakist 16:32 16 Jun 2016

My daughter's laptop keeps freezing; I have used the internal `Repair' to set it back to the factory settings, but it is still the same. I have been told that it is a common symptom of a faulty hard drive, for which I was quoted approx £170.00 to replace and install the operating system. I am not a computer technician, but as I was a tv engineer, so feel that fitting a new HDD is within my capabilities, and as a replacement HDD from Toshiba is £80, this seems the logical thing to do; however before I buy a new HDD, can anyone tell me if it is correct that the freezing may be the result of it failing? I would just like the opinion of other people with computer knowledge before I spend my money, and I will not blame anyone if I choose to follow their advice and it doesn't cure the problem. Any advice would be very welcome. David

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 16 Jun 2016

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages (not applicable to laptops)

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off (does it freeze when running on battery only?)

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment.

You can run a check on the drive. In explorer right click the drive select properties - Tools tab - check drive.

It may also freeze if there are a lot of windows open at the same time and cpu is at 100%

Or if there is not much spare space on the drive.

Model of toshiba laptop? Most hard drives ae easy to change as located under a cover on the base , some are harder to get at as may be under the keyboard. We can probably find a Youtube video or strip down instruction easy enough.

If it really is the drive then you an image the whole drive to an external drive using the free Macrium reflect make the rescue media from the same program - fit a new drive and restore the image to the new drive.

polymath 16:47 17 Jun 2016

Well yes, freezing may well be a common symptom of a faulty hard drive. But to those without a vested interest, it’s more often a symptom of something easier to fix (& sometimes in minutes!).

With computer troubleshooting, it’s sometimes easy to forget to check the simplest things first (e.g., hardware- wise, cable connections still seated properly, any exernal plug-in stuff still working (trying another keyboard/whatever).

On the software front, if freezes occur without many windows open, a common culprit is some demanding program running in the background. Software installations tend to default to maximum presence, including running every time the computer starts, and it’s up to the user to opt out of that (at the time or later).

It’s worth checking out the row of icons at the bottom right of a Windows screen (called the System Tray in some versions), which shows some of the software that runs continuously. There ought to be an antivirus program there, and a few other things like a speaker icon. But some software can barge in & hog the resources, especially while the programme itself is starting up at the same time as Windows, & perhaps checking online for something (media programs are a common culprit). They can usually be made to open only when needed.

Windows has a Startup section, showing some of the programs that open whenever Windows starts, in which you can disable/re-enable items to narrow down suspects.

If you can't find it via the Windows Help section, or you don't know what an item is, or whether it’s essential, a quick search of these forums should do the trick. Ditto the Installed Programs list (which is also usually the best place to uninstall software). There are also ways (some quite easy) of looking deeper and seeing the software not listed in the above.

There are programs that resist uninstalling, and user control generally; they could be part of Windows, but if not they might be malware (one possible cause of freezes).

Not necessarily, though. Has your daughter done any online banking from this machine?

That’s how my personal all-time great nuisance program sneaked in. If you see anything in Installed Programs with Rapport or Trusteer* in the name, it’s a very likely suspect and is safe (though not so simple) to uninstall.

It can be tempting to keep jabbing at keys during a freeze, but I've learned not to, as it seems to delay the recovery (which has always happened for me so far, even if it means going off to do something else for a while). I suppose Windows likes to deal with 1 key press before taking on the next one.

*I gave in to the bank’s constant pop-ups nagging me to accept a small piece of software to add to my online safety there (no details, but I assumed that was to avoid giving the game away to hackers).

It caused my worst ever freeze (as suggested by the install date shown in Programs Installed). A search found I wasn’t alone, and that it’s a legitimate program but behaves like malware. And all just (as far as I can remember) to warn that you’ve used that password before somewhere. (To this day it's the 1st programme that comes to mind re resource hoggers!).

Jodakist 11:15 19 Jun 2016

Thank you Fruit Bat ^0^ and Polymath for your replies and suggestions.

David

Govan1x 11:41 19 Jun 2016

Probably buy a new hard drive for it cheaper from the likes of Amazon or others. Found this from e-bay. You can get smaller cheaper ones but worth a look. I think the one in the laptop is only 250Gb.

Click here

lotvic 12:09 19 Jun 2016

Toshiba C660/C665 Series: HDD replacement click here YouTube howto vid from toshibaeuropesupport

Govan1x 12:35 19 Jun 2016

If you do not have The CD's that come with Laptops. Maybe try and download them now while the Laptop is working as you will need them to reinstall the system to new hard drive.

Have a look here.

Click here

Not sure if that will work in safe mode or not as computers usually work better on there. I am sure someone will comments.

wee eddie 15:09 19 Jun 2016

Before you do anything, a question.

Is she using it on her knee or in bed? She may be restricting the airflow or possibly got fluff in it.

lotvic 18:13 19 Jun 2016

!

Jodakist 10:18 20 Jun 2016

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question, I am very grateful to you all. I did check the `processes' and the CPU is showing 100%. I turned off all items in the start menu, and this dropped to 7% varying up to 28%, then I turned on the antivirus and the usage went up to 35 to 75% then after about 15 seconds it went back to 100%. I mentioned this to my son yesterday, and he said about the cooling fan might be blocked with dust or fluff causing overheating, so this might be the cause, as mentioned by Lotvic, so I will get that checked and fingers crossed everything will be working okay again. Thank you all again, David

lotvic 12:20 20 Jun 2016

It's wee eddie that pointed to the blocked fan etc. I just ! exclaimed as an 'Aha, slap head, but of course - check that' :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?