Toshiba Laptop not completing POST.

badger120 06:57 01 Aug 2018

Sometimes I jus get a static curser on the screen.

Sometimes if I’m lucky I get the Toshiba Red logo screen followed by the message RTC battery is low enter date & time

Sometimes it’s an error message: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert bootable media and press any key.

Tried making changes in the bios e.g.

Disable secure boot Change UEFI to CSM Boot Checked the bootable order options etc.

I know the hard drive is OK with a windows operating system on it and have even tried another hard drive so that’s not the problem.

I’ve re seated the memory, I’ve tried loading bios defaults and nothing works.

Is the likely suspect a corrupted bios?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 01 Aug 2018

RTC battery is low enter date & time

Bios struggling due to bad CMOS battery renew the battery - how easy that will be depends on the model of laptop if you are lucky it will be under a flap on the bottom if unlucky may need a major strip down to get at it.

badger120 20:20 01 Aug 2018

The laptop is the Toshiba Satellite C50-B-14D and there is a good video of the stripdown here, but I can't see any sign of a Cmos battery in the video. I believe the 2 batteries shown at the bottom are the internal speaker batteries and they are marked L & R

Can you shed any light on where the battery is located please?

Thanks

badger120 20:21 01 Aug 2018

Sorry here is the link click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 01 Aug 2018

A lot of what I've read for this laptop seems to think there is no battery and that it uses the main battery.

Try chargiing the main battery fully for 18hrs to see if the message goes away.

alanrwood 09:39 02 Aug 2018

F/B. If you look at thde video you can see the CMOS battery on the mid far right. It must have a CMOS battery. If it used the main battery you would lose all the settings every time you disconnected the battery.

alanrwood 09:40 02 Aug 2018

F/B. If you look at thde video you can see the CMOS battery on the mid far right. It must have a CMOS battery. If it used the main battery you would lose all the settings every time you disconnected the battery.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 02 Aug 2018

alanrwood

CMOS battery on the mid far right if you zoom in that is not a battery.

It must have a CMOS battery. If it used the main battery you would lose all the settings every time you disconnected the battery. That was my first thoughts but after searching several sites the consensus is - that there isn't a CMOS battery fitted.

badger120 16:59 02 Aug 2018

Yes i've also read that there is no cmos battery fitted. Ive given it a good 16 hrs charge and the white light is on but nothing.

Got a feeling something has gone on the motherboard and its dead.

The problem arose when I hooked it up to my cars computer to do a scan. Something I have done many times before without a problem. This time however I was in a hurry and plugged the interface cable into the laptop and the cars obd port before I started the computer. I fear something happened as it attempted to boot up and caused this problem. An expensive mistake.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL