toshiba laptop dead or dying

[DELETED] 23:53 28 Feb 2006

toshiba laptop is dying . its infected by something and wont react to anything i do to it. ive tried the recovery disks but nothing works. its running xp and i dont have any of the drivers for it. i was considering fdisking a nd formatting a nd reinstalling xp .

any help appreciated

[DELETED] 23:55 28 Feb 2006

Make and model?

Will it start in safe mode (tapping f8 whilst booting)?

[DELETED] 07:33 01 Mar 2006

toshiba ea60-155 equium. wont do anything at start up and i mean anything no screen movement at all

xania 08:58 01 Mar 2006

Any beeps - does it POST?

[DELETED] 10:06 01 Mar 2006

no absolutely nothing. i need to boot it from a start up cd i think

xania 17:00 01 Mar 2006

If there are no beeps, then don't bother. Either the battery is dead, or the motherboard is dead. Have you tried booting it up with the charger connected?

[DELETED] 17:54 01 Mar 2006

the only sign of life is the power led is on and the fan is running no hard disk lights

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 01 Mar 2006

Remove battery and start on mains only.

Any signs of life?

[DELETED] 19:43 01 Mar 2006

I posted this a while ago, it may be of interest to you.

Fri, 03/02/[email protected]:54

A similar problem a few years ago happened to me with a Toshiba and PC world told me it wanted a new mother board (£750) another dealer comfirmed this (£725) I put it to one side and after a while decided to poke around, nothing lost, I put the battery on and the power supply in and poked till I noticed a small spark from around the voltage regulator. A quick press and it worked, I put a drop of super glue on the joint and tested it for a week, it was OK so I sold it to a friend for £450 and she has used it for 2 years with no problems.. Moral to my story. never trust the big boys. BUT not all stories have a happy ending.

Russell

[DELETED] 11:00 02 Mar 2006

apologies for the delay in replying snowbound in the highlands with powercuts. tried to boot up into safe mode but get error message:

windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

sounds major and cant move from that point. i dont have the original setup cd only recovery disk which does nothing

[DELETED] 11:21 02 Mar 2006

Your cheapest solution may be to buy a new copy of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?