toshiba l500 ,usb,touchpad,keyboard (except FN key

Mido Elnagar 18:36 31 Jul 2018

someone gave me old Toshiba Satellite L505D , it has the following problems:

all usb ,touchpad,keyboard don't work ... whether in windows or even in bios.. the usb is dead..won't get any flash usb stick or mouse or usb keyboard to work... no light coming out of the flash drive or mouse... keyboard won't work ,with the exception of FN keys... when i turn it on and press F2 it gets the bios... and on the bios i see the clock and date working ,but i can't go anywhere on the bios because no other buttons on the keyboard work,except the FN keys !

I took off the CM battery of the motherboard ,but it won't change anything except resetting the date... I disconnected all the usb cables and the keyboard then reconnected them ..and nothing changed.. i took out the hard disk , installed another windows 8 ,and then coneected it... still the same... laptop would boot till windows and can't do anything else ....

any idea

thanx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 31 Jul 2018

try

Turn the computer on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

see if you can move round the BIOS using either the Tab key or arrow keys.

hopefully you can then enable USB legacy for DOS and the USB ports should then work and you could then use an external keyboard.

worst case scenario is someone has overloaded the USB ports and blown the none repairable fuse on the motherboard - the only way to get USB is then to use a USB card in the express port.

You have obviously had the machine apart is there a clear BIOS jumper on the motherboard?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 31 Jul 2018

try

Turn the computer on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

see if you can move round the BIOS using either the Tab key or arrow keys.

hopefully you can then enable USB legacy for DOS and the USB ports should then work and you could then use an external keyboard.

worst case scenario is someone has overloaded the USB ports and blown the none repairable fuse on the motherboard - the only way to get USB is then to use a USB card in the express port.

You have obviously had the machine apart is there a clear BIOS jumper on the motherboard?

Mido Elnagar 20:11 31 Jul 2018

thanx fruitbat for the response I did as you said but still the same problem: what makes me wonder ,is that not only the usb but the keyboard and touchpad as well ..nothing works !! if the keyboard is malfunction why it respond only to FN keys? I doubt the usb,keyboard,touchpad malfunction ...it seems something with the motherboard??

Mido Elnagar 20:45 31 Jul 2018

I would like to add

when I turn on the laptop ,if I press "Caps Lock" key. the light of the key turning on and and if I press off ,it turns off... but after i press f2 to go into bios ...in goes there to the first page..and I see the clock working changing the time etc... but no up and down ..and even I can't change the caplocks from on to off or vice versa..

so I guess the keyboard is fine till the laptop gets into bios ....

idea? corrupted bios? but if that is true how could I flash it..if I can't use any usb ,or any keyboard?!! inside or outseide windows !!?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 01 Aug 2018

Mido Elnagar 20:10 02 Aug 2018

the unit has built in CD drive ,and I did your advice and flashed a new bios,but the problem persists !!

now the dilemma ..whether it is a motherboard problem or keyboard+usb ports+touchpad ?

if the motherboard scenario is true,why the motherboard identify the cd drive ,rams ,hard disk ,the clock is working ?

if the keyboard+usb ports+touchpad scenario is true ,1- seems strange to malfunction all the three simply like that ! 2- why the keyboards works immediately after turning on the laptop and stop responding ,immediately after I click f2 ?

I tried to stick usb flash memory to both the 2 usb ports..and I noticed ,that when I put it all inside the port and move it a little backward ..the flash lights for 2 seconds ..but then the light gets off again ,with no sign of hardware identificaction on windows... if i stick it out and put it again,moving it in and out slightly ..happens the same thing exactly !!!

I put a usb mouse ..but it would never flash light whatever I do...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 02 Aug 2018

The only thing I can think of now is to use the express port (or PCMCIA slot) to add a USB card click here
you coul then plug an external keyboard in.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs