Toshiba HDD boot issue - Please help!

Chellebear 09:30 09 Sep 2018

Hi all, I hope everyone is well!!

I manage to muddle through on computery things, but am I novice and its probably sheer luck, so bear with me!

I have an old Toshiba satellite laptop.. hmm probably 6 years old now, it came with windows 8 on it, so can't be much older, hopefully!! (Its now running windows 10 upgrade.)

Its not used often, anymore. I keep it as a back up, and use some old software on it (which is one reason why I hope to fix rather than reformat). Recently, I tried to turn it on as normal, and it came up with command prompt screen saying no bootable device was found.

I bought a cheap enclosure and have plugged the HDD into my working laptop. I can see everything on it. I have scanned it, and the scan returned as all normal. Which is great, I'll take that! I've copied the few bits I needed. I figure there is learning opportunity here, I love to tinker and understand!

I created a windows media USB and that was with the 1803 version, from Microsoft. Start up repair said it couldn't repair the machine, so I ran the bootrec stuff. It said access was denied when I tried to do Bootrec /fixboot. I then took to Google and saw that it might be related to the version of Windows.

I managed to find the 1703 version of the Windows and create a USB. Start up repair looked promising at one point, saying it was attempting repairs, but then said it couldn't repair. I went into command prompt...

Bootrec /fixmbr - successful

Bootrec /fixboot - now successful

Bootrec /scanOs - identifies 1 installation on the C drive

Bootrec /rebuildbcd - asks if I want to add installation to boot list Y, N or A (all)

If I select Yes or All, it says the requested device cannot be found

Ive done Diskpart /sel disk 0 / list vol and I see

0 = the CD

1 = C Drive/NTFS/Partition/920GB/Healthy (no info)

2 = No letter/System/NTFS/Partition/1024MB/healthy/Hidden

3= No letter/No label/FAT32/Partition/100MB/Healthy/Hidden

4 = No letter/Recovery/NTFS/Partition/9GB/healthy/Hidden

5 = D/USB Stick Name/FAT32/Removable/7387MB/Healthy/(no info)

I am not sure what to do now :/

Should I have 3 hidden volumes? I didn't think C should be. I think I need to give a letter to Vol3 so that I can run EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ and I have no idea what Vol4 is?

Any and all advice really appreciated :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 09 Sep 2018

Should I have 3 hidden volumes?

Probably yes, System Reserve approx 350Mb where the boot files are now kept, Recovery approx 450 Mb where the tools to repair windows is store (x: drive) plus your satellite may have its original recovery partition approx 12Gb where the laptops win 8 recovery image is located (no longer required as you have up graded to win 10).

C: should not normally be hidden ( works laptops may have C: hidden by the IT department to prevent unauthorised access) as that is where windows is located.

It is often worth running the Start up repair several times as windows may not find anything to repair or says it can't repair.

Again worth running repairs and resets from a USB / DVD rather than the hidden tools partition especially if there is hard drive corruption.

You could also run chkdsk /f /r from the command prompt to check for hard drive problems especially if those problems are in the boot sector / hidden system reserve area which prevent windows booting.

Chellebear 12:02 09 Sep 2018

Hey Fruit Bat! Thanks so much for your reply :)

"System Reserve approx 350Mb where the boot files are now kept, Recovery approx 450 Mb where the tools to repair windows is store (x: drive) plus your satellite may have its original recovery partition approx 12Gb where the laptops win 8 recovery image is located (no longer required as you have up graded to win 10)"

OK so its seems Vol4 might be the Windows 8 files at 9GB? Would System Reserve and Repair tools be stored together in Vol2 at 1024MB? What would Vol3 be in that case?

I am running the repair module from the USB, as the drive wont boot at all. I have taken your advice and run it a couple more times, and it keeps attempting, but still says no :/

The command prompt is showing X:\sources. I changed it to C: and then run your command chkdsk /f /r It says:

the type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

It says I have to dismount it, but, have I not already checked the HDD when I plugged it into the enclosure via my other laptop? I scanned it (right clicked the drive/Tools/Check for file system errors) and it came back as ok.

As Start Up Repair hasn't worked, I was trying to rebuild the BCD but am being told the requested device cannot be found.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 09 Sep 2018

Assuming you have the drive back in the original laptop

you need to run chkdsk from the x:\sources drive

type chkdsk c: /f /r

checking file system is not quite the same.

if you put it back in the caddy and connect to the good laptop you can look at the drives in disk management. I assume that it will have assigned E: to the old c: drive. (right click )Assign drive letters to the other partitions and you should be able to explore them. remove the drive letters before putting the drvee back in the Satellite.

I also assume that it is a Toshiba HDD (never had a lot of success with them).

Chellebear 15:54 09 Sep 2018

*"you need to run chkdsk from the x:\sources drive
type chkdsk c: /f /r"*

Ah! Have now run this (must have been a time lag before, cos it looked like it wasn't working... but maybe I didn't wait long enough!)

Results are

Stage 1 - Examining basic file system structure

1516800 file records processed

File verification complete

16884 large file records processed

0 bad file records processed

Stage 2 - examining file name linkage

1746238 indexed entries processed

Index verification completed

0 unindexed files scanned 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found

Stage 3 - Examining security descriptors

CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream

Security descriptor verification completed

114720 data files processed

CHKDSK is verifying Usn journal

34117376 USN bytes processed

USN journal verification completed

So that all looks ok.. its just checking for bad clusters which looks like it could take a while so will report back when its done!

Thanks so much again, really appreciate it. I know its quicker to do a reinstall, but where is the fun in that ;)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)