Tiscali, dial up, poor connection speeds.

Sapins 08:41 10 Jun 2005

Just had our monthly meeting of our small computer "club" yesterday. One of our members has a problem with his Tiscali (France) dial up connection. He usually only gets a connection of about 14kbps, which obviously is far too slow. France Telecom have checked the line and say it is OK.

When Tiscali confirmed his set up there were 3 different ways to put in his user
name.

[email protected], which is to access his mail box at Tiscali.

c.bloggs%tiscli.fr which is to configure 'messagerie' on programs such as New Messenger, O/Express.

[email protected] which is necessary for manual configuration, with a message which translates: 'access network at distance on PC window PPP or remote access on Mac'.

Would it be better if he deleted the second 2 and just used the first one as he only uses this one for his mail? or does it not matter?

Also, when I checked his modem settings the region/country was set for the USA, I have changed it to France, and when I did we got a 57kbps connection 4 times out of 5, late last night he got one connection of 115kbps, this morning it is back to the very low figures again.

He has XP Home, I didn't get the spec of the machine, but I can if it will help.

Is there anything else we can check/change?, any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, another member found the region/country setting was for the UK, he changed it to France and swears it loads pages faster! so, does it matter what this is set to?

Stuartli 09:12 10 Jun 2005

The 115kbps figure is most likely to be the DTE rather than the DUN speed - entering W2 in the modem's Properties Extra Settings box will correct it.

You can find plenty of help on modems and all things related at:

click here

which apply in general to modems in most countries.

I suspect that a better driver could be found - try the manufacturer's website or one of the websites providing drivers such as:

click here

Username is drivers2 and password all

Sapins 09:51 10 Jun 2005

Thanks for the links, I have passed them on.

Sapins 10:06 10 Jun 2005

Forgot to mention, I presumed the user name and password are to access the site without registering?

I can't do this!

dan11 10:12 10 Jun 2005

Use the old one. user name "drivers", password "all". It will ask if you want to create a new account, pick I don't want to.

Is it a v.92 modem, it may be worth trying the v.90 drivers

Sapins 10:31 10 Jun 2005

That worked OK, thanks.

I'll have to check the modem model.

Stuartli 13:21 10 Jun 2005

I presume the change to "drivers2" (the only difference) was because so many people were not registering...:-)

But it is an excellent drivers site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?