Time for a New Burner?

5ean 16:15 27 Dec 2006

Liton S0HW-1633S

This drive has decided to stop burning DVD's, every program used reports errors at the start of the write sequence. Have tried different dvd, + and - to no effect. Error along the lines of not recognising the DVD as writeable.

The drive will read DVD's (games, films etc) and burn CD's fine. I was hoping someone with knowledge of how the hardware works would know whether to replace the drive or look for a software issue.

Liteon do not list a driver, it just uses microsoft drivers.

Thanks,
Sean

piddletrenthide 19:46 27 Dec 2006

Probably you need to replace the drive; they don't last all that long. I replaced a LG 4040b with symptoms identical to yours after 2 years. Its replacement, a Benq DW 1655, died after 5 months. It seems that the faster they write, the more 'fragile' the DVD write laser becomes.

Stuartli 19:57 27 Dec 2006

I'm very pleased with my Sony AW-G170A10, now under £20.

click here

Whether it's blank CDs or DVDs, I've always burned a disk at least one speed less than the maximum available and only used a rewriter purely for burning.

As a result my five-year-old TDK CyClone 24x10x40x CD rewriter was still working perfectly when I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a DVD rewriter. The TDK is being kept as a backup...:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 27 Dec 2006

Probably the eletronics in the drive not aligning the laser correctly.

Its cheaper to replace the dive than try and get it fixed.

5ean 12:50 28 Dec 2006

Thanks, have ordered a samsung lightscribe capable drive. £19.99 maybe not the fastest or best (I don't know), but the laser label really interests me and at less than £20 happy to replace in a couple of years. My current liteon cost me close on £50 when I bought it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)