Is there an App to backup Edge's Favourites?

wee eddie 11:43 03 Feb 2017

Edge has just reset itself for the second time, clearing my all Favourites.

I have Googled, "Backup Edge's Favourites" and the answers that come up appear to be extremely convoluted and are certainly not able to be automated.

So, once again, I am laboriously recreating all the Favourites that I can remember, and ask, does anyone know of an App that will backup Edge's Favourites?

rdave13 16:06 03 Feb 2017

This is straightforward, Import or Export Microsoft Edge Favourites as HTML File, tutorial from here.

rdave13 16:13 03 Feb 2017

Link not working. Try this one, click here.

rdave13 17:25 03 Feb 2017

Sorry wee eddie, the "Export" tab no longer exists.

rdave13 17:50 03 Feb 2017

Another try, open file explorer, double click the C:\ drive, double click Users, d/click the name you log in with, right click the favourite folder and select " restore previous version".

wee eddie 18:15 03 Feb 2017

Sorry I'm driving my Taxi now.

From memory, whatever Windows did when it ditched my Favourites, also cleared that Folder.

Well it's empty now. That's really why I'm looking for a Third Party App to do the job.

It seems to be a W10 glitch

rdave13 18:36 03 Feb 2017

It's an Edge glitch. If I were you I wouldn't keep any 'favourites' in the favourites bar. Just have a list of favourites not in a folder and then import them to another browser. I use Vivaldi but just another arm of Chrome. I could successfully import from Edge except for the bar. You could then import back via Edge.

Another good one to try is to open file explorer, double click on the C:\ drive, double click on Users, double click on your name you log in with, right click the Favourites folder and select 'Pin to Start'. To think Ms are pushing for us to use Edge I found that it was mainly IE's bookmarks on the start's shortcut. Something to try when you have the time anyway.

wee eddie 19:05 03 Feb 2017

I was keeping a copy in Chrome but that appears to be corrupted. Luckily I have an 18 month old copy in IE but have lost those I added meantime

wee eddie 19:09 03 Feb 2017

I actually like Edge, as a Browser, for me it appears to be faster than Chrome. I haven't tried any other.

I keep Chrome handy as a quick portal to Google

wee eddie 19:14 03 Feb 2017

I was keeping a copy in Chrome but that appears to be corrupted. Luckily I have an 18 month old copy in IE but have lost those I added meantime

rdave13 19:30 03 Feb 2017

I'm wondering why something corrupts Edge on your machine. I've had no problems with losing bookmarks (favourites) in Edge. Do you use something like a third party software that 'optimises' Windows perhaps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France