TFT Refresh Rates

numskull 08:59 13 Mar 2004

I have a 17" Iiyama TFT monitor and would like to know what is the correct refresh rate? When I install all the drivers (graphics card and monitor) it defaults to 60herts which I think is what iiyama say is correct. My only other option is 70herts which I think is better but it may be my imagination.

Which is correct? Can anybody advise please.

Stuartli 09:24 13 Mar 2004

TFTs require a much lower refresh rate than the 85MHz minimum recommended for CRT monitors, so you've no need to worry about this point.

Stuartli 14:27 13 Mar 2004

This link explains the differences between refresh rates etc used in CRT and TFT monitors:

click here

fitcher 20:01 13 Mar 2004

tft monitors run at 60 mhz they also like to be run at a fixed resolution ,, so do not use any higher ..if your icons look to small change to 120 dpi ..in display properties ,,

Djohn 20:39 13 Mar 2004

Yep 60 Hz is best for TFT's. 17" screens have a native resolution of 1280x1024 if you move away from this the graphics/text will suffer but there is a way to enlarge the graphics/text without loosing any of the quality or sharpness of the display.

Right click on your desktop, choose properties then "Settings/Advanced", general tab. You will see a window with "DPI" setting and it will be at 96 points. Click to the right of the window and from the drop-down menu choose 120 DPI this will enlarge all your text/graphics without any loss of quality. You can also choose a customised view and set your own preference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?