TFT Monitor versus CRT

caradoc 12:44 18 Oct 2004

Anyone recommend a TFT Monitor suitable for an avid Flight Simmer? At present have a 17" Hyandai CRT Monitor which works fine but would like to have more room on my computer desk.

Would appreciate advice from anyone using a TFT or has such knowledge.

Have been told, unless I pay top price for the TFT it won't be much good for Flight Simming and that I should get a larger,(which would be cheaper), more "modern" CRT. I Realise this would take up more space on my desk!
Present monitor has to be around 8 years old.

System AMD Athlon 2400XP, 1GB RAM, MSI FX 5600 TD Graphics running Windows XP Pro OS.

JonnyTub 12:53 18 Oct 2004
  PA28 13:41 18 Oct 2004

I use FS2004 to keep up to speed when I'm not flying the real thing - it's also very useful for practising instrument procedures. I use a (cheap) bog standard Relysis 17" TFT which serves me very well. Die hard gamers will insist on a TFT with a fast refresh rate (which I'm sure mine hasn't got!) so keep this in mind. Also keep in mind that TFTs have a "native" resolution, unlike CRTs. You must work within the native resolution or the image will be severely degraded - instrument readouts become very hard work. A 15" screen has a native res of 1024x768, but you may find the instruments a bit on the small side. A 17" has a native res of 1280x1024 which is much better - but your graphics card and processor need to be powerful enough to deliver decent frame rates (min 20-25fps) to achieve the essential smoothness of display.

caradoc 15:36 18 Oct 2004

Many thanks for your help. TFT it is!!

PA28 20:39 18 Oct 2004

Wise choice in my book. The link that JonnyTub provided is a bit dated - you should be able to get a reasonable 17" TFT for around the £300 mark without too much trouble. See if you can try before you buy (though the setup in places like PCW can be dubious - you can often get the things looking a look better at home than under the harsh lights of a warehouse).

JonnyTub 20:42 18 Oct 2004

dated yes, same rules apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)