TFT monitor and Flight Sim

reddwarfcrew 13:01 16 May 2004

My Dads 17in Packard Bell CRT (5 yrs old) looks like its about to die, so he's thinking of replacing it with a 17inch TFT screen.

But I seem to remember reading that TFTs weren't quite so good with games (this was a couple of years back).

Would he be better sticking with a CRT?

Cheers.

LastChip 13:20 16 May 2004

It depends upon the level at which you play games.

If your an avid gamer, there is not much question that a CRT will be better for you than a TFT, but I'm talking about serious gaming. If it's occasional use, the TFT is more than adequate, and the speed of response and so on will have improved in the last five years.

I use a TFT, although I confess to not being an avid gamer and find it perfectly satisfactory. Oh, and I can run Flight Sim on a 17 inch with no problems.

Djohn 13:25 16 May 2004

The current batch of TFT's are excellent. I use one myself, don't play many games but do watch a lot of movies and have not noticed any ghosting or trails at all. I am very fussy with my display, even a speck of dust will annoy me and has th be flicked of the screen ;o)

There are two main types of TFT display though. Both are LCD but one is considered faster at turning on/off the pixels but with a narrow angle of view. Perfect for anyone sat in front of the screen but moving to one side and it will lose out somewhat.

The second type will give a much wider angle of view but not quite as fast at switching the pixels on/off. This latter one will probably give a little ghosting in the fastest of games but again will only bother those who really demand the best in games display and tend to spend up to £250.00 on a graphic card alone.

Toms hardware guide is a good place to start and read through the reviews of the different types of panel. Don't let the response time mislead you though, as Tom says, some of the 20-25 ms displays will give a better picture than the 12-15ms one's. It depends on how the manufacture has measured the response time.

Have a look here click here After reading up on this article go back to the main page of the guide and scroll down to displays, there are several more articles on different makes/models. PCA/MAP is one type of display with the wider angle of view and the second one is TN. this gives a narrower angle of view both horizontal/vertical but is fine unless you want to watch from an acute angle. j.

Djohn 13:27 16 May 2004

PCA = PVA. j.

Djohn 13:32 16 May 2004

PCA/MAP in my first post above should read.

PVA/MVA

reddwarfcrew 21:32 23 May 2004

I've just been looking at dabs and they have

click here

which is their own brand monitor, but looking at the spec its actually an LG.

Any opinions as £250 for a 17in seems quite good (don't think it comes with a stand, but I have a spare stand from my 17in LG1710B, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Djohn 21:44 23 May 2004

seems good value. I would think it does come with the stand as a TFT would be unusable without, it doesn't come with a wall mounting kit though but neither do many of the other brands.

Mikè 22:02 23 May 2004

Consider the fact that a typical TFT will run at 1280 x 1024 (native resolution), can your dad see things that small?

ams4127 22:02 23 May 2004

I used to run FS 2004 on a CRT screen at a resolution of 1600X1200 and loved it. Having upgraded to an 18" TFT, which has a maximum of 1280X1024, I am regreting the move to such an extent that I am seriously considering buying another CRT and using the TFT as a secondary display.

I do however, agree with all the previous replies that the TFT is excellent for movies and anything else one can throw at it.

As LastChip says, it depends on how seriously you take flight simming.

ptrafc 22:07 23 May 2004

I own a VeiwSonic VE175b 17" TFT screen and play IL:2 Sturmovik (flight sim) and Unreal Tournament 2004 on it every day and I have no probs whatsoever. It doesn't affect my gaming performance at all. The only thing I notice is VERY slight trails when turning direction on UT2004 or any other sort of full screen image changes. Overall it's and excellent monitor and I would recommend it to anyone.

ptrafc 22:07 23 May 2004

I own a VeiwSonic VE175b 17" TFT screen and play IL:2 Sturmovik (flight sim) and Unreal Tournament 2004 on it every day and I have no probs whatsoever. It doesn't affect my gaming performance at all. The only thing I notice is VERY slight trails when turning direction on UT2004 or any other sort of full screen image changes. Overall it's and excellent monitor and I would recommend it to anyone.

Oh and it comes with a stand fixed to it and is wall mountable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)