TFT monitor display query

CurlyWhirly 19:03 27 Jan 2011

My TFT monitor has been like this ever since I bought it a couple of years ago.

The problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I'm just curious as to what causes it !

What happens is that when it's cold (i.e. after first switching it on). I get a vertical mix of black and green lines -

click here

click here

After aprox 10 minutes these lines just fade into oblivion.

A curious thing is that when I use the Windows magnifier, the mouse pointer is obscured by the lines but isn't visible in the magnified part of the screen !

Colonel Graham 00:37 26 May 2011

Curly Check with Dell, when I had a monitor replaced by Relysis, the courier brought the new monitor and took away the faulty one.

Colonel Graham 00:44 26 May 2011

Apologies, I replied from the first page information, so not relevant now.

CurlyWhirly 09:53 26 May 2011

Colonel Graham, no need to apologise as your reply prompted me to ring Dell up!

You were right, I checked with Dell and apparently I am still within the 3 year warranty period !

According to them I purchased the Dell monitor on 16/1/2009 so I'm still within the 3 year warranty period which is good news.

I gave them the serial number from the back of the monitor but I didn't have the works order number as it was on the box which I foolishly threw away (I'll keep all relevant packaging in future)

I gave them my name and address along with the name of the company where I bought it from (Ebuyer) and they said that they will send me a refurbished one by courier tomorrow morning - that's quick service lol

I will have to send the old one back but the courier will even bring his own packaging and so I can just hand it over.

The only downside is that the refurbished monitor is only guaranteed for up to 12 months but it's still better than having to put up with this one besides my current monitor only only has around 6 months left on the 3 year warranty so I'm gaining here too !

Hopefully this will be sorted finally ;)

CurlyWhirly 10:00 26 May 2011

Final reply to this thread from me.

I just wanted to say how good Dell's customer service is and I would definently buy from them again.

CurlyWhirly 10:00 26 May 2011

Final reply to this thread from me.

I just wanted to say how good Dell's customer service is and I would definently buy from them again.

CurlyWhirly 11:27 27 May 2011

Update:

The refurbished monitor arrived around an hour ago and it's working ok.

That's customer service for you as it was less than 24 hours since I rang them.

The refurbished monitor is revision 3 where as my old (faulty) monitor was revision 1 so obviously some improvements have been made !

woodchip 12:09 27 May 2011

Told you to try them, Glad it been resolved after all this time

CurlyWhirly 22:33 27 May 2011

woodchip, yes it's good to have a normal monitor screen!

ashleycardwell94, I tried the monitor with my spare PC but the line was still visible there and so it wasn't the graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?