TFT monitor with on-board graphics.

Legolas 18:16 21 Oct 2003

I have just read that running a TFT monitor with on-board graphics is not recommended as it degrades the picture quality of the monitor.

As I was going to use this setup for a system I am building for my brother, does anyone have experience of running a TFT with on-board graphics and if so did it affect the picture quality?

Sir Radfordin 18:28 21 Oct 2003

I though the Dell Optiplex range came in base spec with an onboard graphics card - have used them with TFT screens just fine.

Legolas 18:33 21 Oct 2003

Sir Radfordin, thanks for the reply. I have never used a TFT screen and know little about them so any info on this is welcome.

Djohn 18:34 21 Oct 2003

My B-in-Law bought one of the E-Machines from PC World last weekend. Excellent specs for the money, [£599.00] complete with speakers/Mouse/keyboard.

This has on-board Sound/Graphics and a 15" TFT monitor. No problems at all, looks really good and I was very impressed. My B-in-Law is over the moon with it. Regards. j.

woodchip 18:37 21 Oct 2003

It makes no difference if it will connect to graphics port

Legolas 18:39 21 Oct 2003

Thanks I am some way to feeling more confident about the TFT with on-board graphics after your replies. I never thought about the systems that supply both on-board graphics and a TFT so thanks for that.

Legolas 18:42 21 Oct 2003

woodchip I know that TFT's will work with on-board graphics but I had read that it can degrade the picture.

woodchip 21:29 21 Oct 2003

You need to make sure of the connector, that it will fit your comp monitor outlet. As they do vary

Legolas 22:57 21 Oct 2003

woodchip do they work ok with on-board graphics concerning the quality of the picture.

DieSse 10:09 22 Oct 2003

There is no difference as far as quality is concerned.

Of course different graphics chips, board7card designs may affect the picture - but it has nothing to do with whether it's on-noard or on-card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?