text in gobbly gook

misters 20:16 18 Mar 2003

Hi
I asked a friend to send me some notes on floppy, then when i tried to open the notes up, all i get is gobbly gook, i mean the text is there but its in between characters like small squares and crosses etc.
Dont know what format friend saved the text in really sure it would be word. All i can say is it reads the document name followed by "_*_" not quite sure what this is, can any1 shed some light, also friend on his way to London so cant get a hold of him.

MAJ 20:29 18 Mar 2003

The files on the floppy might have been corrupted or they weren't saved in a format your word processor (Word?) recognises, misters. What is the file extension of the files on the floppy? .doc?

MAJ 20:30 18 Mar 2003

The files on the floppy might have been corrupted or they weren't saved in a format your word processor (Word?) recognises, misters. What is the file extension of the files on the floppy? .doc?

misters 20:56 18 Mar 2003

The file extension is .wps, i know this is a works format and when i try to open it in my works it's gobbly gook.
Would having different versions of works matter, if so is there some way i can get around this?
thanx in advance.

MAJ 23:16 18 Mar 2003

My first thought is that the file is corrupt, misters. Can you get your friend to resend it?

AndySD 23:19 18 Mar 2003

Try opening it with notepad.

AndySD 23:27 18 Mar 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?