Tevion USB Bluetooth adaptor

anniesboy68 15:36 06 May 2005

Aldi are selling these next Thursday I have a wireless card on one computor, and if I purchase a bluetooth adaptor and fit it to another computer in the same house or room will I still need a router, please?

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 06 May 2005

Somehow I don't think so; I believe that both machines will need to be bluetooth enabled.

I am open to correction but in the absence of anything to the contrary, this will at least serve as a bump.

anniesboy68 18:59 06 May 2005

Diodorus Siculus...Thanks, will leave well alonr then...just a thought AB68

anniesboy68 15:12 09 May 2005

Diodorus Siculus....Or anyone else who knows..So if I buy two I can communicate..albeit up to ten metres or so...thats all I need AB68

Diodorus Siculus 15:23 09 May 2005

Don't know but it may well be the case...

anniesboy68 15:56 09 May 2005

Diodorus Siculus...Ok ta will probably take a chance and see.AB68

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 09 May 2005

Sorry to put you in the wrong track - I meant to say that I don't know but it is unlikely to be the case. :-(

dan11 19:45 09 May 2005

If you have a bluetooth adapter ( dongle ) in two separate computers and the computers are within range. Then you can communicate and transfer data between the computers.

The range is limited, upto 5 meters would be a better assessment than 10 and data transfer will be less than 1Mb per second.

The bluetooth dongle will continually search for any bluetooth device in range ( flash a blue light ). When software is installed on both machines, this will give you the means to transfer that data.

dan11 19:51 09 May 2005

" I have a wireless card on one computer, and if I purchase a bluetooth adapter "

I should have also pointed out that you would NEED a bluetooth dongle in each machine. Bluetooth will not work with a wireless card.

If you wanted to communicate with a computer that has a wireless card, then a usb WiFi dongle would be what you require. The range would be far greater than a bluetooth network and data transfer would be much faster. These dongles plug into a usb slot and are around the £20 mark.

anniesboy68 20:32 09 May 2005

dan11.... Thanks for info...All my computers are in same room i.e within 5 metres. the Tevion states 10 metres so will take a chance with taking my laptop downstairs. PS Will I be able to access the internet though, as that is the main reason for my communications

anniesboy68 20:34 09 May 2005

Hmm...going on from that if I get a usb wi fi dongle would I not need a router. I find this all very confusing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?