Testing powwer supplies without m/board

ex-wirecutter 10:11 20 Mar 2009

Further to my last post I have purchased a power supply tester but still have the same problem , how do you trigger the PSU to start up , as they only seem to respond to a signal from the motherboard .
I have even tried known working PSU's and they wont start till you press the power on button on the motherboard.

jimv7 10:19 20 Mar 2009

Plug it into the psu tester and switch on if the psu has a switch, some do not.

ex-wirecutter 10:25 20 Mar 2009

Thanks for your reply , only one of the PSU's I want to test has an on off switch and even that doesn't start when plugged into the mains .I feel certain it needs some sort of signal to start up , similar to an extractor fan in a bathroom.The tester obviously doesn't provide this .

jimv7 10:49 20 Mar 2009

If psu does not start when plugged into the tester, I would say the psu is faulty.

ex-wirecutter 11:26 20 Mar 2009

Thanks again for your reply , I would agree with you except that I have tried it with PSU's that are known to be working . I am trying to sort out the good from the bad of several PSU's I have accumulated over the years , and dont want to risk connecting a faulty one to a motherboard and blowing it.

I am Spartacus 12:06 20 Mar 2009

I also have one of those PSU testers from Maplins and it works with just the PSU cables plugged in. Did you make sure the 4 or 8 pin CPU cable was also connected to it as well as the 24 pin cable.

ex-wirecutter 12:39 20 Mar 2009

I am using the 20 pin option which it says in the instructions should work . Not sure which 4 or 8 pin cable you mean . Have tried connecting a HDD to give it a bit of load but no joy even with a known working PSU . Incidentally , do you know if there is a temporary start current in excess of the normal running current ? i.e. a brief surge .

I am Spartacus 13:23 20 Mar 2009

On recent motherboards there's a 4 or 8 pin connector to supply additional power to the CPU. If you have a 20 pin connector it probably means that it's an old motherboard and power supply that didn't require one. However if I start up a PSU connected to the Tester without the 8 pin cable connected then it beeps and gives an error message.

There's no sign of a surge when initially switched on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?