Temporary Internet Files

zoobie 08:52 04 Jan 2003
  zoobie 08:52 04 Jan 2003

I've just looked at my Windows Explorer and found THOUSANDS of images and files in these folders:

Windows>Temp>Temporary Internet Files>ContentIE5>4 folders packed

Windows>Temporary Internet Files>ContentIE5>4 more folders packed

Are 8 folders really necessary? I've tried to delete some folders but get a nasty message saying it's part of the browser.

Since I'm running an old machine, I really need to get rid of all temporary files to free up space. I thought by closing the browser, all these went away.

How would I set up my 'puter to do just that?
IE6/Win98se

« Ravin » 08:55 04 Jan 2003

do not delete the folders but you can delete the files. try going to tools>internet options in ie and click on delete files,delete cookies and clear history to get rid of all the files.

Andsome 09:08 04 Jan 2003

I Internet Explorer TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED. Scroll down to Security, and put a tick in the box which says to empty temporary folders when browser is closed

zoobie 09:30 04 Jan 2003

Ok...I did that and now only 2 almost empty folders exist in the Windows>Temporary Internet Files>ContentIE5>2 folders

Now, what about those other 4 folders under Windows>Temp>Temporary Internet Files>ContentIE5>4 packed folders?

I'm thinking maybe this was IE5 or something. I really want to delete it. Think it's ok?

When I cleared the Temp Internet Files, my browser reset itself and opened up full. What's with that?

Also, what are those [11],[12],[13] numbers in the folders?

Thanks

zoobie 09:44 04 Jan 2003

Forget it...I tossed it and nothing happened.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?