telnet ...problem in XP

carlos 21:52 30 Aug 2003

Use Telnet to access my mail server, sometimes. Had no problem in '98, just entered my email server. When I open in XP( a newbie to it, be gentle...)there's nothing, except a command prompt. Be very grateful for pointers.
PS I hope Woodchip had a cold shower and is back

harry_b 22:19 30 Aug 2003

Use hyper terminal in the accessories, communications section of the programs group.

carlos 22:28 30 Aug 2003

Am a "newbie" to XP. When I do what you suggest ....get a dialup window..got BTBB.Where do I go from there? In Win 98 , I got a "connect to remote ..." box, so just typed in my email server.....Like my previous requests re accessing same facilities after upgrading to XP...just SO different!

carlos 22:32 30 Aug 2003

linked the OSs.......with relational help files. Prob been discussed many times but new to me and Xtremely frustrating! Why not stick in the XP help files EG: in W98 you do this but, now you have Win XP...do this?

harry_b 22:39 30 Aug 2003

create new connection from the file menu, enter a name for the new connection (anything you like) then when the connection type window appears change from com1 to tcp/ip winsock, type in the server address and off you go, presumably if it connects to the mail server then you will be prompted for password etc.

carlos 09:26 31 Aug 2003

it's assuming that I've got a modem....I've got BT broadband. All the boxes are for phone numbers. Funny that, I only recently changed my OS. It worked fine with Win98. Good morning, btw

harry_b 13:47 31 Aug 2003

when you alter the com1 to tcp/ip the window will change so that you can enter the host address etc instead of tel n.o

carlos 19:37 31 Aug 2003

thank you for your persistence. Worked a treat........1st rule in new OSs? DON'T panic lol.
Much obliged!

harry_b 19:51 31 Aug 2003

ur welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?