Tautology Meter.. Worrying me with Totals..

russmini 17:07 22 May 2005

Downloaded this much applauded program a couple of weeks ago but its scaring me a little on the totals it has started telling me !!

On the 13th, it reported that the Total was 8.05GB !!!

Now i did not think i would get anywhere near this in a MONTH let alone a DAY !

Friday was just over 300MB !!

Where is all this upload / download coming from ?

Also it always reports the upload and download to be the same.. is this correct ?

My allowance is 2GB a month, so there is the first worry but Wanadoo have assured me as they are not measuring usage properly yet it will be ok, but what about in the future ?

Running XP, sp2, win firewall, AVG, AVAST, AD-AWARE, SPYBOT, MICROSOFT BETA and SPYWARE BLASTER..

So i would have thought ok there, do not do intensive things on the net just on here, looking around etc etc no music downloading, i did listen to Live365 radio the other day but only for a couple of hours.

Please Help

Thankyou..

Pesala 17:36 22 May 2005

click here See if it gives similar results. I'm on 1 Mbyte NTL B/B and get about 3 Gbytes a month usage. I don't download much music or video, just some streaming BBC news etc., but I do spend many hours online every day.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 22 May 2005

Try Netmeter click here see if it give the same results.

russmini 18:47 22 May 2005

I do actually have that as well on here, but just realised how to look at it properly, so i will keep an eye on this to see what it reckons.

Will keep this open for a bit to see if anyone else has an opinion.

Stuartli 19:09 22 May 2005

I use the Tautology meter - its readings reveal a daily use of about four to six MB a day and an IN/OUT total so far for almost a full month of just over 130MB.

Perhaps you should check the settings again or reinstall it as your figures seem far too high.

Stuartli 19:11 22 May 2005

You require the readings from the MS TCP loopback interface, not the WAN (see top of panel).

russmini 19:35 22 May 2005

ah, that was going to be another question !!

What the hell is the difference between the things ?

Don't know what they mean, let alone what they are / do

Help.. Thanks..

russmini 22:28 22 May 2005

bumping cause of jattman

Stuartli 23:36 22 May 2005

I presume the TCP is the basic dialup protocol cov erage and the WAN will be area network usage - why the readings are so remarkably different I don't know...:-)

In fact I only noticed the two choices when I checked my own totals - the figures have been low enough not to check too often since I switched to BB about a month ago.

On Tiscali's broadband offers page there is a note that the ISP has discovered that the average broadband customer uses about 0.8GB a month usage, so a 2GB cap won't affect most people, There is also a chart which lists the probable total of average Internet use daily over a month.

russmini 20:05 27 May 2005

Now running Netmeter, with much better and less worrying totals !

Maybe something went a little off when Tautolgy was downloaded, well not sure but happy now.

Thanks again..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?