Taskbar issues: Windows & buttons not responding

Elle Martherus 08:01 14 Nov 2016

Since someone in my school deleted some virus files and cleaned up my PC a little (HP Notebook, Windows 10) I have been unable to start the Windows Start menu. The button on my keyboard is not working and if I click it nothing happens. I am able to click on the explorer and chrome on my taskbar though. The icons on the right aren't responding either; brightness, volume, wifi, notifications. I've tried many things including restarting explorer, use Powershell like one site recommended but nothing worked. I could reset my PC to factory settings but I really want to know if there's another solution because I don't want to lose certain software. If there is none that'll have to do. Thanks in advance!

stavros3000 14:30 14 Nov 2016

Hi,

Before resorting to wiping your machine might be worth checking out some of the suggestions here:-click here any of them don't make sense please let me know and i can help.

Thanks

Steve

If

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 14 Nov 2016

Check device manager for exclamation marks against any drivers especially keyboard / task pad.

If Ctrl Alt Del work bring up taskmanager - File - Run new task - tick the box for run with admin prive - type cmd

once command prompt comes up type

sfc /scannow

press enter

windows will scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files

when its completed type exit then - reboot the PC.

see if that makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Redmi 8 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleures séries Netflix