Taskbar issues: Windows & buttons not responding

Elle Martherus 08:01 14 Nov 2016

Since someone in my school deleted some virus files and cleaned up my PC a little (HP Notebook, Windows 10) I have been unable to start the Windows Start menu. The button on my keyboard is not working and if I click it nothing happens. I am able to click on the explorer and chrome on my taskbar though. The icons on the right aren't responding either; brightness, volume, wifi, notifications. I've tried many things including restarting explorer, use Powershell like one site recommended but nothing worked. I could reset my PC to factory settings but I really want to know if there's another solution because I don't want to lose certain software. If there is none that'll have to do. Thanks in advance!

stavros3000 14:30 14 Nov 2016

Hi,

Before resorting to wiping your machine might be worth checking out some of the suggestions here:-click here any of them don't make sense please let me know and i can help.

Thanks

Steve

If

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 14 Nov 2016

Check device manager for exclamation marks against any drivers especially keyboard / task pad.

If Ctrl Alt Del work bring up taskmanager - File - Run new task - tick the box for run with admin prive - type cmd

once command prompt comes up type

sfc /scannow

press enter

windows will scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files

when its completed type exit then - reboot the PC.

see if that makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Disintegration preview

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Apple Watch Series 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs