System Motherboard Compatibility

Alien463 11:38 18 Aug 2003

Hello.

I currently have a Compaq Presario 5000 model 5146ea computer running windows ME.

I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard to the Asustek S478 Intel 875P ATX A L and my processor to the Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ 512K 478 PIN 800MHZ.

Would the motherboard and processor fit on my system - that is, can I replace my current Compaq mainboard (and processor) with the one mentioned above?

Also, if I wanted to retain my current hard drive (and files) would I just slot the current hard drive into the new motherboard? Can I still use the same sound card and graphics card?

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

xania 13:44 18 Aug 2003

From what I can see, your PC almost certainly will accept any ATX form motherboard, and any CPU compatible with that mobo. Also, yes to HDD, sound card and graphics cards. And, of course your CDRW & DVD.

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1The new mobo takes a differnt type (DDR) of memory so you will not be able to use your SDRAM

I suspect that you will only have a system restore CD and not a Windows ME instyallation CD. If this is the case, you will have problems as you will have to set up Windows in line with your new mobo - i.e. a complete re-installation. My recommendation is to use the opportunity to upgrade to XP, but first make sure that you have the most up-to-date drivers from all your hardware.

xania 13:44 18 Aug 2003

From what I can see, your PC almost certainly will accept any ATX form motherboard, and any CPU compatible with that mobo. Also, yes to HDD, sound card and graphics cards. And, of course your CDRW & DVD.

1. The new mobo takes a differnt type (DDR) of memory so you will not be able to use your SDRAM

2.I suspect that you will only have a system restore CD and not a Windows ME instyallation CD. If this is the case, you will have problems as you will have to set up Windows in line with your new mobo - i.e. a complete re-installation. My recommendation is to use the opportunity to upgrade to XP, but first make sure that you have the most up-to-date drivers from all your hardware.

xania 13:48 18 Aug 2003

Sorry about this - I keep pressing the wrong button. Third time lucky.

1. The new mobo takes a differnt type (DDR) of memory so you will not be able to use your SDRAM

2. I suspect that you will only have a system restore CD and not a Windows ME instyallation CD. If this is the case, you will have problems as you will have to set up Windows in line with your new mobo - i.e. a complete re-installation. My recommendation is to use the opportunity to upgrade to XP, but first make sure that you have the most up-to-date drivers from all your hardware.

3. Your old system appears to have an on-board modem, which your new mobo does not include, so you will need to prepare for this additional expense.

There - got it.

Good luck

Alien463 22:52 18 Aug 2003

Just wanted to show my appreciation for the quick response.

I forgot the fact that ther upgrade would require a complete reinstallation of windows ME - in which case it would work out more cost effective to just buy a new computer.

Thanks again,

Alien463

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?