Hot Topics

Switching Microsoft Account from Administrator

RegScriv 16:26 29 Nov 2015

I've made a mess of my Microsoft Account. I have 2 accounts, one with my straight name & another with my name plus a number. The administrator is the one with the name+number but I always use the straight name, which has "user" status. I've registered with Microsoft that I want to delete the administrator/name+number account, which they indicate will come into effect in a month or so, but cannot get the straight user account to administrator status. Can anyone help please?

RegScriv 18:08 29 Nov 2015

Thanks rdave13. What's caused this latest issue is the November Update since which my PC is getting confused between my 2 accounts. What I want to do is re-name my name+number account to just my name account. I think firstly I would have to delete my name account before it would let me re-name my name+number account. What do you think? If I log into my name account, which I don't use, it's a mess. I can't even get the keyboard to the UK setting.

RegScriv 21:48 29 Nov 2015

Ok, what's the best way to create a new local administrator account?

RegScriv 21:53 29 Nov 2015

I'm using my name only account Outlook mail within my name+number ms account. If I delete my name only account (after creating the local administrator account), would I lose that name only email account?

RegScriv 16:01 30 Nov 2015

Yes, sorry, I'm struggling. There is now only one account on my PC; the Microsoft name+number account. I did go through the process of cancelling this account but MS indicate it waits 2 months before fully cancelling it, it will not be removed until 28/1/2016. I have to access my email account, name only, via the Internet. I cannot raise another MS account with name only because the "domain already exists" - my name only email account. I want to raise a MS account of name only & remove the MS account of name+number. It looks like I have to delete my name only email account to do it.

RegScriv 11:28 01 Dec 2015

Ok, thanks rdave13.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)