Switching ISP - Can I use existing modem?

NOVICE ENABLED 13:02 01 May 2006

I want to switch from AOL to Tiscali. My current modem from AOL is a BT Voyager 105 USB. Can anyone tell me if this is compatible with Tisali & if I should anticipate any problem with the switch over?
Thanks in adavnce.

rawprawn 13:40 01 May 2006

I should think you can use your existing modem, but I think Tiscali supply SagemFast 800 free. They did when I went with them. I am still with Tiscali but eventually I bought my own ADSL Ethernet modem which I find more reliable.

JayDay 13:59 01 May 2006

I've used the same USB modem (speedtouch 330) with three broadband ISP's with no problem.

Daveboy 15:44 01 May 2006

Yes, but you will have to create your own connection as their s/ware will try to install their modem.

terryf 15:50 01 May 2006

You could consider buying a netgear DG835 combined modem, firewall and router taking a long term view, firewall is super, works with any ISP

wobblymike 19:02 01 May 2006

Agree with all the above would recommend you dump your USB modem and move to a ethernet modem instead. BT Voyager 205 is my modem of choice works great. One small word of caution if buying it secondhand like on e bay make sure it is not locked to BT. Sometimes when BT provide them to a customer who is using Bt as ISP they are locked and can't be used with another ISP. Most aren't but be aware.

keewaa 19:32 01 May 2006

Just change your login username and password .... as simple as that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)