Switch off PC wifi card without switch off PC....

[email protected] 20:01 29 Aug 2005

I have a PCI WIFI adapter card fitted to my PC and I have discovered the transmission is causing some interference with my wireless telephone. Is there a way to de-activate the wifi card temporarily from the PC keyboard in order to use the telephone, without powering down the PC?
Apologies if this is obvious to the learned, but I am new to this wifi thing ;-)

Forum Editor 20:46 29 Aug 2005

it's a rare problem.

You can disable the card - go to Control panel and click on the system icon. Then click on the Hardware tab and on the Device manager button. Look for your PCI card - it will be under network adapters - and double click on it. Now look at the 'Device useage' box at the bottom, and select 'Do not use this device - disable' option. Reverse the procedure to enable the card.

This all seems like a lot of effort to resolve the problem - have you tried selecting a different channel on your wireless phone's base station?

mgmcc 20:48 29 Aug 2005

Try opening the Network Connections folder (if using Windows XP), right clicking the entry for the Wireless Adapter and selecting "Disable".

Double clicking the entry will re-enable it and get an IP address again.

Alternatively, in its software there may be an option to "Switch Radio On/Off".

[email protected] 21:10 29 Aug 2005

Surprise, surprise. With the card disabled the noise is still there - but not when the PC is switched off! I think the interference is probably not between wifi freqs [2.4g on the PC and 1.9g on the phone] but the placement of all the mains adapters for all the various bits of kit under the bench! Looks like the latest [for the phone] is inducing radiation into the wiring [spaghetti..]. Now I am on broadband the PC is left on for longer periods so I will take the habit to switch it off unless actually using it.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?