Swap Laptop Optical Drive for Solid State Drive

TainshyStryder 20:54 02 Aug 2016

Hi all,

New to the forum.

I have an Dell Inspiron 15-5558 and am wanting to swap the optical DVD drive for a Sandisk Ultra II 240GB ssd for the operating system.

I'm quite newbie with modding hardware so just wondering what I would need apart from the hard drive itself.

I know I'll need some sort of bay to hold it in but does anyone know where I would source one to the same specs as the drive so the case is all flush

wee eddie 21:02 02 Aug 2016

You will probably need some sort of Tray and it's likely to be smaller than the Standard Hard Drive

bumpkin 22:07 02 Aug 2016

This looks like what you need click here

TainshyStryder 13:01 04 Aug 2016

Thanks guys I've picked up one of these and fitted and cloned the HDD onto the SSD but the SSD doesn't show up in my boot options list. It shows up fine on my computer/disk manager etc. but I can't find it in the bios settings

Jollyjohn 13:39 04 Aug 2016

What did you use to clone the HDD? Has it left the SSD as "Hidden"? If you tap F2 is the SSD listed here, if so then it probably is hidde or at least needs the Boot Flag set. Your cloning software should help with this. And, are you using Legacy boot options or UEFI - probably should be UEFI on that laptop.

TainshyStryder 13:51 04 Aug 2016

Hi John,

I used Acronis True Image HD 2016 and UEFI

I think you're right as the boot flag seems to be missing from the SSD partition on the image - drive D is SSD - how would I add the boot flag? or do I need to reformat and do again?

Jollyjohn 14:09 04 Aug 2016

Might be easier to format and redo - this time look for an option to swap / replace the drives.
Have a read up on Acronis and look for info on cloning in order to replace the HDD.. Some one on this forum that has used Acronis more recently than me might be able to point you in the right direction. The result we need is that SSD becomes C: drive and HDD is hidden, initially, then unflagged as boot and made visible to become D: drive.

TainshyStryder 20:20 04 Aug 2016

Thanks for the advice John, I did a bit of research and decided to try again using EaseUS ToDo Backup, and it worked a charm I can now enjoy the majesty that is SSD :D

Jollyjohn 11:12 06 Aug 2016

Glad you got it sorted - see also this post on a similar issue. click here Follow toejams link and the one in my last post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?