Svchost doesn't work.

Tom 21:45 27 Aug 2003

Iam using Windows 2000 professional on a lap-top. I have been trying to download some programs from the internet but it always fails in the following way. Usually, I get a message to the effect that svchost has failed and I should restart the programme. Part way through my download, I find that the file has stopped loading but the modem is still busy sending and receiving something. If I close down the modem and redial I cannot get a new connection. Also, the Windows "search" facility no longer works. I can only reconnect to the internet if I restart Windows.
This problem began when I unwisely installed a version of MacAffee Quickclean and Virus checker that I bought for an earlier version of Windows. It interfered badly with Windows and I could not get it to uninstall. In the end I deleted all relevant files and used the Windows repair facility on my installation disk. Is there a cure for my internet problem ? Should I do a clean installation of Windows ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom Radcliffe

Gaz 25 21:50 27 Aug 2003

Simalar results from the Blaster virus...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)