A Super Duper Broadband ISP

Micromagic 02:00 08 Aug 2005

Having visited well over 25 websites of the
Broadband ISPs, my impression is, the vast
majority are offering the following kinds of
Broadband services-

1. The group who is offering quite a cheap rate e.g. £9.99 for 512KBps or even 1MBps speed but the
usage is capped at a ridiculous figure of 1GB(3 hours per day) or less, or usage of 2GB at a higher price which is also not much of use.

2. The group offering the speed of 2MBps and usage
capped at 15GB or 30GB but quite pricey like BT's
top service is capped at 30GB at £29.99

3. The group offering the speed of 1MBps, uncapped
but rather basic modem and no wireless alternatives for home networking. No national rate
number for Tech help. Only vey basic info on modems and home networking

4.The group which offer one of the above service but does not offer backup dial up service which is truly free or technical help at 10p/min or higher.

5. The group which has website with paltry information but repeatedly "Now sign up" on their
webpages.

I am looking for an ISP who is offering at least
2MBps speed with UNLIMITED usage and telephone technical help at a national number rate.
Naturally, a backup dial up number which is truly free as one may have to rely on it if the Broadband connection is broken for whatever reason.
Why is it so difficult to find such an ISP now that number of Broadband connections are, apparetly, more than dial up internet.

Is there some one who can give me the URL(s) of such an ISP?

Chegs ® 04:34 08 Aug 2005

I'm curious to know why a capped service is of no use.At 15Gbs,even I can survive although I ended up with 30Gbs cap and free weekend calls,for less than I was paying for a dialup.I often d/l full Linux distros,(Suse 9.3 Pro on DVD) and spend most days listening to internet radio whilst I'm surfing and haven't yet had to pay any additional d/l charges.I'm with Tiscali 2Mbs now.I previously was with Eclipse,which was a tad pricey at £40 mth for 512Kbs but had no d/l cap,a 20:1 contention ratio and 50Mbs webspace.

Taff36 09:16 08 Aug 2005

Partner uses click here For example click on the info button at the bottom of the PLUS column and then choose the PROCEED button top right. You get to a cost calculator where you can enter your options and RECALCULATEthe costs. I can`t find anywhere where they talk about capped limits and for a one off £11.75 payment they waive their 12 month contract. Free modem and set up too. Their customer service is brilliant - phone them up and ask them about their service and you`ll see what I mean.

I have been with Pipex for 6 years and they no longer offer the deal I`m on otherwise I`d switch to PlusNet.

Graham ® 09:28 08 Aug 2005

I'm with PlusNet, 3 of my friends are so impressed they have also signed up. Only paying £13.49 with their referrals!

Why do you want a national rate helpline? PlusNet is local rate.

What you are asking, especially uncapped service, is frankly no longer a viable option. To have someone downloading all day and night affects the contention ratio for all other users, and the price the ISP has to pay (usually BT) for the bandwidth.

You will have to compromise.

Stuartli 10:33 08 Aug 2005

Tiscali does 2MB + 15GB usage for £17.99 (summer £2 price cut):

click here

I use the Tiscali 1MB with 2GB usage and have never got anywhere near such a figure although I'm online all day and most evenings - Tiscali itself states that the average subscriber usage figure is 800MB monthly.

scotty 14:20 08 Aug 2005

click here is a possible option but it does not meet your telephone helpline criteria. The helpline is an extortionate £1/min but don't be put off yet! They have a good e-mail support (free) and they offer a £5/month help line option which might be a worthwhile investment when you first join.

They are cheap (from £10/month equivalent) but you have to sign up for 6, 12 or 24 months. Frequently offer special deals which upgrade you to higher connection speeds.

Stuartli 16:04 08 Aug 2005

Just discovered, quite by chance, that Tiscali is upgrading new or current 1MB (2GB usage) subscribers at £15.99 a month to 2MB free of charge...:-)

Link is at:

click here

Might be best to go to the home page first and use the 2MB for £15.99 link as the My Account username and password routine doesn't alway work via the link route.

Micromagic 13:25 10 Aug 2005

Hi Graham
Those of us who have option 3 of BT telephones or equivalent package of other Telcos, all numbers with 01 and 02 or 03 (proposed new London code) are 24/7 'free' after a monthly fixed charge is paid.
BT's is about £11, One Tel's (package - 'total UK talk') monthly charge £9.95. Other Telcos have similar packages.
Instead of 0845 (so called local rate) or 0870, it is far more economical to use national rate numbers starting with 01 & 02 or 03 than anything else at the moment.
There is a campaign going on at present to persuade large companies to let the customers have a choice of numbers with 01. 02, and 03 along with their 0845 and various other codes.

Micromagic 13:25 10 Aug 2005

Hi Graham
Those of us who have option 3 of BT telephones or equivalent package of other Telcos, all numbers with 01 and 02 or 03 (proposed new London code) are 24/7 'free' after a monthly fixed charge is paid.
BT's is about £11, One Tel's (package - 'total UK talk') monthly charge £9.95. Other Telcos have similar packages.
Instead of 0845 (so called local rate) or 0870, it is far more economical to use national rate numbers starting with 01 & 02 or 03 than anything else at the moment.
There is a campaign going on at present to persuade large companies to let the customers have a choice of numbers with 01. 02, and 03 along with their 0845 and various other codes.

Micromagic 23:09 11 Aug 2005

Reply to Taff36
In their Features List proceed down the list and under the heading WEB, locate-

Web Traffic
Website download limits

In the right of this row you will see
Premium 250MB Plus-100MB PAYG-250MB

As I have yet get my Broadband, I have no experience of such download cap of 250MB. Perhaps
one of you with experience can describe Broadband
life under 250MB cap.

Personally, I need a large download limit in terms
of GB and not MB.
If I am going to incur such expenses as initial
cost of upto £189 (depending on package), I think
the sensible thing is to choose unlimited
download or capped at 30GB or over.

Djohn 00:39 12 Aug 2005

Zen offer all you want and more, no contention, no contract, no caps, no limits, a true 24/7/365 days a year service and one of the fastest IP's out there.

They are not the cheapest, but few can come close to their speed or service. If you sign up on-line on a Monday morning, you will have your modem by Wednesday morning and be surfing just as soon as you can enter your username and password.

I have been with them for almost 2 years now, and though I often look at cheaper alternatives, I'm reluctant to leave them simply because I've never had the slightest problem or downtime. Almost forgot, no spam either, even though they do not use filters of any kind, not one single spam in all the time I've been with them.

ADSL guide at click here rates them first for speed/service/reliability month after month. Tap any 5 plus Zen into the compare list and you will see they are first every time.

Here is the link to Zen click here On signing up with them you will be given a username in a combination of letters and numbers, phone them and they will change it to your own name or any name of your choice so that your emails have more a more personal touch.

Good luck in your choice, but if you do choose Zen, you will not be disappointed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?