Hot Topics

Suggestions and questions on laptop backup

john bunyan 17:22 01 Aug 2019
Answered

I have been updating a number of laptops for myself and relatives recently. In the past, for laptops and desktops I use Freefilesynch to make frequent backups of data to one or more usb HD’s, and approx weekly Macrium Reflect images, also to usb HD’s. Newer laptops have micro or normal SD card slots and I have installed 128 gig ones and use them to backup files using windows backup via Settings. Data is typically only about 80 - 100 gig.

For my own laptop I am thinking of buying a 256gig Micro SD card ( about £30- £40) and using that not only for data but also for one or two Macrium images( about 70 gig each when compressed)

For travel it seems a good idea? I will continue with usb too. Any suggestions! Are these SD cards reliable? It seems a very reasonable solution

[DELETED] 13:48 02 Aug 2019
Answer

I used ebuyer as an example, not ebay, but wherever you choose yo shop, that is the typical price for an internal SSD.

Amazon have 240GB ADATA, WD, Crucial, Kingston SSD for under £30

john bunyan 14:04 02 Aug 2019

FE

Great help. I will follow it up and use them as 2nd backups. Over the years I have accumulated many drives from pc’s , both usb and mains powered so a clear out is due!

[DELETED] 14:25 02 Aug 2019

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

LG gram 14 (2020) review

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

'Price rise' for iPhone 12 despite lack of accessories

Les meilleurs smartphones Xiaomi (2020)