Suggestions for free Partition Manager

john bunyan 18:09 31 Mar 2018
Answered

I have used EasUS Partition up to now; Some her have recommended MiniTool. I looked at this old thread about a free MiniTools trial, which did not shine a good light on them.

MiniTools

I will want to do some partitioning next week ,including, maybe moving the recovery partition so would be grateful for comments on these two in particular

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 31 Mar 2018

I have had no problems using Easus partition manager v11.10 now I think.

john bunyan 18:49 31 Mar 2018

F B

Thanks, I will use it as I have , rarely, in the past. MiniTools looks similar but unless there is a strong reason to prefer it I’ll stay with EAsUs

rdave13 19:11 31 Mar 2018

Oops JB. Never read the beta thread on MiniTools ShadowMaker. A bit shoddy of them to say the least. I've used their partition manager for years with no problems at all but in the light of what I read will certainly not recommend the company again. So apologies for that. I've also played around with AOMEI Partition Assistant but as *Fruit Bat /\0/* also has had no problems with Easus you might as well use that. Once again my apologies.

john bunyan 19:31 31 Mar 2018

rdave13

No problems at all; I am a bit inexperienced in partitioning, so will make an image first before doing it, in the assumption that if it goes wrong I could use the image to revert - or would a clone be better? I think on the new drive concerned there will be a "EFI System Partition" on the left, then the C Primary partition that I want to shrink from 500 to 200,gig, using the 300 as the data D drive, but am concerned as to how to deal with the existing right hand 450 mb recovery partition that I would ideally like to keep on the right of the shrunk C Partition but to the left of the new D partition. Any views on this would be welcome. Thanks for replying and continue to have a good Easter!

LastChip 22:52 31 Mar 2018

If you're doubtful about your present partitioner, try GParted - excellent.

rdave13 15:35 01 Apr 2018

Why have the 450 mb recovery partition between C and D partitions? That's a Windows partition. As you will have a Dell machine check disk management, or your preferred partition manager would be better, to see if there is a Dell hidden recovery partition. That could be as large as 20GB. Once I created an image on my HP laptops I deleted the manufacturer's recovery partition to create an unallocated space. Then used my partition manager to expand the C drive and ended with this,

MiniTool partition manager shows this,

Gained a few GBs on the C drive. Now it will be only a matter of shrinking the C drive and creating a partition (D) in the unallocated space to the right of the C partition.

Note the Windows recovery partition has grown to 918 MB on my machine. Can't remember if a 'Refresh' did this or not.

john bunyan 15:49 01 Apr 2018

rdave13

Thanks; on your screenshot, the 400Mb Recovery partition is on the left., then your 250Mb EFi one, then the C Drive. Could not see your D Drive, if any.That would be fine; yet to see the Dell layout but my SSD is as shown earlier only has 2 unlabelled partitions, not the 3 you have. so will wait and see how it looks, probably on Tuesday so maybe will ask again then. I will make a Macrium image and recovery USB before doing anything in case I make a mistake!

john bunyan 16:17 01 Apr 2018

PS Have old version of EasUS partition Master on desktop. Tried to update it to latest version but Malawarebytes Premium blocked it as PUP. Optimal/InstallCore . Will try GParted or MiniTools! on Tuesday.

rdave13 16:27 01 Apr 2018

john bunyan

There are two recovery partitions (Windows). If you right click the Minitool image and select 'open image in a new tab' you'll see it better.

I removed the HP recovery partition and expanded the C drive using its space (unallocated) and gained a few GBs. It was on the extreme right but is now part of the C drive. I don't need to shrink the C drive to create a D drive for data as I have no use for it. Macrium made that redundant for me as images don't take long to create.

rdave13 16:37 01 Apr 2018

Uninstall Easus and try this link.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61