Suggestions for free Partition Manager

john bunyan 18:09 31 Mar 2018
Answered

I have used EasUS Partition up to now; Some her have recommended MiniTool. I looked at this old thread about a free MiniTools trial, which did not shine a good light on them.

MiniTools

I will want to do some partitioning next week ,including, maybe moving the recovery partition so would be grateful for comments on these two in particular

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 31 Mar 2018

I have had no problems using Easus partition manager v11.10 now I think.

john bunyan 18:49 31 Mar 2018

F B

Thanks, I will use it as I have , rarely, in the past. MiniTools looks similar but unless there is a strong reason to prefer it I’ll stay with EAsUs

john bunyan 19:31 31 Mar 2018

rdave13

No problems at all; I am a bit inexperienced in partitioning, so will make an image first before doing it, in the assumption that if it goes wrong I could use the image to revert - or would a clone be better? I think on the new drive concerned there will be a "EFI System Partition" on the left, then the C Primary partition that I want to shrink from 500 to 200,gig, using the 300 as the data D drive, but am concerned as to how to deal with the existing right hand 450 mb recovery partition that I would ideally like to keep on the right of the shrunk C Partition but to the left of the new D partition. Any views on this would be welcome. Thanks for replying and continue to have a good Easter!

LastChip 22:52 31 Mar 2018

If you're doubtful about your present partitioner, try GParted - excellent.

john bunyan 15:49 01 Apr 2018

rdave13

Thanks; on your screenshot, the 400Mb Recovery partition is on the left., then your 250Mb EFi one, then the C Drive. Could not see your D Drive, if any.That would be fine; yet to see the Dell layout but my SSD is as shown earlier only has 2 unlabelled partitions, not the 3 you have. so will wait and see how it looks, probably on Tuesday so maybe will ask again then. I will make a Macrium image and recovery USB before doing anything in case I make a mistake!

john bunyan 16:17 01 Apr 2018

PS Have old version of EasUS partition Master on desktop. Tried to update it to latest version but Malawarebytes Premium blocked it as PUP. Optimal/InstallCore . Will try GParted or MiniTools! on Tuesday.

john bunyan 16:52 01 Apr 2018
Answer

Tried a download of AOMEI Partition Assistant and that did not bother MBAM, so will try that on the Dell!

kellyOX 07:29 10 Apr 2018

JB, I think I should recommand MiniTool to you, because I have used it to shrink/extend my partition without any problem. I also want to share this post click here to you. You can find what the Recovery Partition is and will clearly know how to deal with it. BTW, I usually read their articles before I make an operation, because I can learn much and know how to avoid troubles.

john bunyan 22:45 10 Apr 2018

I , with great difficulty, managed to partition an older laptop to make it better suited to give to a young relative , set up to have OS & programmes on C and User data on D. I will start a new thread on a new one as I have a bit of a rethink having seen the layout etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)