Suddenly MS Outlook would not open - file missing

wee eddie 15:07 03 Jan 2019

No Panic, I had a backup on the NAS Drive and a separate Backup taken on the 1st of the month.

I decided to start looking. The .* file (I shan't mention it's name for fear of being overcome by Spammers) usually lives in My Documents, I'm Windows 10, and I could see that it was empty before I even opened it.

So, try Search, and that told me that the file was around but I couldn't get it to tell me where it was, which surprised me. No panic, it lengthened the search but, what's a little time when you're recovering from a cold.

I found an identical Folder in My Computer and transferred it. Problem solved

The Question: Anyone care to take a guess as to why, or how, this happened?

qwbos 18:52 03 Jan 2019

The Outlook Files folder in Documents on my desktops are both empty. My Outlook files are at C:\ Users\”computername”\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\”accountdatafile” which I'm pretty sure is the default location, as I can't remember specifying anything other than default when I did the clean installations.

Easy way to find where they are from Outlook, File> Account Settings> Account Settings>Data Files shows the file location.

Can you have changed the default location without knowing it when under the influence of a cold remedy?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?