Sudden Black screen on PC - Help/Advice Pls

AroundAgain 20:07 27 Jan 2018
Answered

Hi

Windows 10 PC - recently re-installed Windows 10, all has been running well, until this evening. For some, unknown to me, reason, my screens have suddenly gone totally black, except one screen had a whilte line around the black screen (I've got two identical monitors and are set with one as extention, ie very wide screen)

This has happened x 3 times this evening. I've had to force shutdown or restart by pressing the restart button on box or holding the boot-up button on box for it to restart and then it seems to work OK again.

I did have Firefox running on each occasion, plus my emails (Thunderbird). On re-starting, and clicking on Firefox, the FF window said it was unable to re-connect me to my previous site.

I ran Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Prem but neither found any nasties. I've taken a look in Event Viewer but, as it's the first time looking there, I haven't a clue as to how to use it etc. Nothing jumped out at me, though, and no red or amber alert markers to see ;)

Can anyone tell me what they think may have happened? I'm not aware of any power cuts etc, in fact, all lighting/TV etc hasn't faltered and the lights on the computer box have continued to show.

Hopefully, this may ring some bells in someones memory ??? ;) Many thanks for any help or advice I'm using the PC now, to write this post.

rdave13 20:16 27 Jan 2018
Answer

Reboot and manually update Malwarebytes premium. click here . Bad memory leak with it.

wee eddie 20:17 27 Jan 2018

What's your Graphics setup?

AroundAgain 20:45 27 Jan 2018

I suspect I had already updated Malwarebytes after shutting down because after re-booting, I ran Malwarebytes again so that would have updated it too.

So far, so good. It hasn't happened again since just before I posted. Thanks for the link - I had just read that post and thought it sounded similiar but didn't consider it was likely to be the same issue, mainly because I didn't get a 'blue' screen - I got black!!! ;)

Anyway, hopefully, it's OK now. I hadn't appreciated there had been an update, not that it was causing issues.

Many thanks rDave.

WeeEddie, I'm not sure quite what you're asking re grahics setup. I've got a Nvvidia card (sp), two Samsung monitors, one connected via the 'usual' port and the other is via HDMI. It works great although I often 'lose' my cursor with having so much 'workspace' ;)

Govan1x 23:04 27 Jan 2018

Firefox at version 58.0 since yesterday so maybe need updating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)