Stuttering Media Player

tolly2 00:15 03 Feb 2005

Hi

when playing audio files or video files in media player, they start to stutter.

I get no error messages or other indications.

Any ideas anyone ??

GaT7 00:55 03 Feb 2005

Try reinstalling WMP over itself - this usually fixes most problems.

If using WinXP & WMP10: Shutdown running processes before reinstalling. Double-click on the WMP10 setup file 'MP10Setup' (or MP10Setup.exe) & follow the wizard to reinstall. To get a fresh copy of WMP10 (if you don't already have it) click here.

If using Win9x/ME & WMP9: Shutdown running processes before reinstalling. Navigate to Program Files\Windows Media Player & double-click on the file 'setup_wm' (or setup_wm.exe) & follow the wizard to reinstall. G

tolly2 09:38 03 Feb 2005

Thanks crossbow7,

what do you mean by 'running processes'? and how do I shut them down?

Stuartli 09:48 03 Feb 2005

Ctl+Alt+Del in XP. You will get a panel up; highlight each running process and click on End Task.

You should also shut down Notification items as much as possible; again right click on the icon and select Exit/Quit or whatever is used.

But it might be best first to check that all File Types are Enabled from Tools>Options>File Types and that you have the WMP9 codecs pack installed.

Even better would be the K-lite standard video and audio codecs pack from:

click here

which covers virtually all the codecs likely to be required.

Stuartli 09:53 03 Feb 2005

You DO also have a hardware or software DVD decoder installed...?

[email protected] 10:28 03 Feb 2005

I have found media players [especially when playing video], use a lots of memory; lack of which causes the same symtoms you have. 2 alternatives - shutdown all the extra processes as advised and/or increase memory. Running a program called Casheman5.5 [free from this site] - memory booster tool - may help. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?