Hot Topics

Stupid HP, Can anyone help me please?

KevinBates 15:36 28 Sep 2016

Im not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. Iv always had to build pc's and laptops out of bits and bobs donated to me. Anythin left over and i would give to the poor in my area. However i have been saving for a bit for something nice and modern and come across an HP hp x2 210 tablet/laptop thing in windows 10. It was second hand but practically brand new, in a box etc. When i got it i decided the screen was to small for amy aging eyes so i was looking to swap for something a little bigger. I then decided to refresh windows as a lazy way of getting all my stuff off it. Then disaster struck :( The installation become stuck in a loop at the preparing stage, it would flash to getting ready and then restart. I couldn't be bothered messing about so decided just to re install windows via a usb i always have handy, only to find this bloody thing doesnt support legacy mode so i cant install windows via a usb. So i guess u need to pop into recovery mode and see what i can do there. HOWEVER.... Every time i click on something, be it command prompt..system restore or whatever it says i cant do it because i'm not an admin and there is no admin accounts on this pc. Can anyone help me out here please?

xania 15:44 28 Sep 2016

If you right click any process, you will typically find that you can run it in Admin mode or as Administrator. This should get you started. But I also recommend you take a look at the user manual, as you may find that you can simply restore the machine to factory settings to get you out of trouble. Make sure you then back-up this recovery tool for future use in case you hard disk fails at any time.

Secret-Squirrel 17:12 28 Sep 2016

Kevin, according to the manual for your HP tablet/laptop you should be able to restore it to factory settings using the HP "Recovery Manager". Note that it will erase everything that's currently on the device. Have a read here:

Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola teases 9 September phone event, likely for new Razr

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

New leak sets out Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone 12 launch dates

Les meilleures batteries externes (2020)