Hot Topics

Stuck in Safe Mode (Windows 10)

RasTaszi 01:45 17 Mar 2020
Answered

Hello guys,

So my problem is...

I booted into safe mode with msconfig to clean install an AMD driver. I noticed I can't use my normal password. I can't remember my first password. I tried to use my microsoft password. I booted into safe mode with network with shift+restart, but I have no connection. I'm using an ethernet cable. Tried to use cmd, still asked for password. I have a bootable usb so I managed to use cmd, but it didn't help.

X:\Sources>bcdedit -> The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found.

C:\>bcdedit -> The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found.

C:\>bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot -> The specified entry identifier is not valid. The parameter is incorrect.

C:\>bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot -> The specified entry identifier is not valid. The parameter is incorrect.

C:\>bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot -> The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found.

Tried to reinstall windows with the upgrade option so I don't lose my files and programs, but it said I have to start windows normally first.

I spent hours with this. Please help.

x13 07:08 17 Mar 2020

Unfortunately I see posts with this issue time and again using msconfig to enter safe mode. For every one else I strongly suggest not using msconfig to do so.

Only two suggestions I can offer. Boot the PC and as it's loading press and hold the power button. Do it about three or four times. Hopefully it will eventually boot to repair mode and 'Fix Windows 10 Winload.exe Using the Command Prompt' here.

You could also try downloading Macrium free click here , on another PC and create a rescue medium. Boot from Macrium's rescue medium and select Boot repair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 17 Mar 2020
Answer

On the log in page can you press shift and click on the power icon will it let you Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.?

RasTaszi 15:37 17 Mar 2020

@x13 Thank you! I will try these.

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ Yes it does, that's how I went from Safe Mode to Safe Mode with network (which worth nothing because I have no connection).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 17 Mar 2020

Can you get to BIOS and select legacy boot instead of UEFI

RasTaszi 20:19 17 Mar 2020

@x13 Dear Sir you saved me with the Macrium boot repair. Thank you!!

If anyone needs help with this frustrating problem in the future just send me a private message. It's pretty easy tho.

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thank you for your suggestion!

x13 20:51 17 Mar 2020

Glad you're sorted RasTaszi . Now is a good time to start creating images with Macrium on an external usb drive so that you can restore in a matter of minutes if anything untoward happens again. No more using msconfig for safe mode as it can go belly up very badly as you've found out. Why it happens occasionally I have no idea as it seems as reliable as Windows' System Restore.

wee eddie 07:29 18 Mar 2020

It has struck me that Microsoft do "NOT" want their Clients to use Safe Mode.

Once upon a time, to get into Safe Mode, one just fast clicked F5 or F8 and there you were. I gather that that is no longer the case in Windows 10.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Save a staggering 82% when you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro now

Akira art show continues in absence of virus-hit Olympics

Annoying bug makes Mail gatecrash your Mac screen

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans