Struggling - W/Less Network setup

Gordal 15:37 20 Nov 2005

Hope someone can help please. Running XP Home SP2 on two PCs via telewest's blueyonder.

Started to use XPs(SP2) wireless sepup system following advice from Microsofts experts. Trying to setup WPA-PSK which appeared to be going well initially, and got the settings installed on to a USB flash drive. This worked ok to a degree - the client PC picked up the settings.

One snag seems to be my router - a KCorp KLG-575
which does not have a USB port ! Do ANY Routers have USB ports. M/Softs advice actually was to enter the settings, via the flash drive firstly onto the router, then onto the client PC and finally onto the host PC.

Anyone help me to make further progress - please?

mgmcc 19:10 20 Nov 2005

<<< One snag seems to be my router - a KCorp KLG-575 which does not have a USB port ! Do ANY Routers have USB ports >>>

What do you want a USB port for?

I do hope it is a "stand-alone" router and not a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" that you have.

The router connects by ethernet cable from its WAN port to the Telewest Cable Modem and the PCs connect either by ethernet cable to its LAN ports or Wirelessly.

<<< M/Softs advice actually was to enter the settings, via the flash drive firstly onto the router, then onto the client PC and finally onto the host PC. >>>

I wasn't aware that the 24 hour drinking law was in force yet ;)

As far as the PCs are concerneed, there really isn't anything to configure apart from the Wireless Network Adapters. They get their IP and other addresses from the router by DHCP and so the default setting to get addresses automatically is OK. File/Printer sharing is another issue.

Gordal 23:30 20 Nov 2005

mgmcc

Thanks for your response. I have done more reading and am now left with the view that I should first set up a WIRED network, contrary to my earlier impressions.

Is this what you would support?

After configuring the Router (yes, a standalone router) I can then use the USB flash drive, or manually enter the SSID, WPA key etc onto the two PCs.

Am I making any more sense?

Strawballs 23:31 20 Nov 2005

Look in your handbook for the router you access its setup via web based adress in your browser so you should have a computer connected by wire untill setup.

mgmcc 08:26 21 Nov 2005

First of all power off the cable modem, shut down the PC and disconnect them. Leave the modem off for a few minutes. Connect the router's WAN port to the modem by ethernet cable, and connect the PC to one of the router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and wait until it is fully booted with four green lights. Power on the router and wait until it is fully booted, then finally boot the PC. It is important to let each device boot fully so that it can allocate an IP address to the next device in the sequence.

You should now be able to access the router's "Setup" pages by entering its IP address into a web browser. Telewest cable is a genuinely "always on" connection, so the router is set to use a "Direct" connection (or whatever similar option your router has). You should then be online with the PC which is connected to the router. Plug in the second PC and it should also be online.

You now need to set up the router's "wireless" settings. Until you have wireless connections working reliably, leave any encryption and MAC address filtering off. Enter an SSID (the wireless network name, which can be anything you want to use), if there are options to connect to 802.11b only, 802.11g only or "b & g", set this correctly for your adapters or use the "b & g" setting. The default Channel number is normally "11" and can be left on that unless you experience bad reception/connection problems. If there is an option to enable/disable SSID broadcast, ensure it is enabled to allow the WiFi adapters to find the network.

After installing the wireless adapters in the PCs, and running their software (or Windows' wireless software if you are using that), the Site Monitor should seek "Available Networks" and find the one with your SSID. You should then be able to "connect" to that network when the little icon will get a "halo" to show it is connected.

From there, you can move on to enabling encryption and/or MAC address filtering, but get the basics working first and then move on to that.

Gordal 16:59 21 Nov 2005

mgmcc

Thanks for further response. Sounds a little complicated, but I hope I can follow your instructions.

Will have another "go" tomorrow when I have more time and will post back - hopefully being able to report success!

Many thanks again

Gordon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?