Strange startup

tes 08:44 10 Feb 2011

Sometimes when I switch my pc on everthing seems to start ok ie full windows display & pointer moving when mouse moved as it should. Problem is when I click on anything nothing hapens.If I do a manual restart everything is fine. Does any one have any ideas please?

Ex plorer 09:59 10 Feb 2011

You could try defragging the hard drive.
Go to Start/computer/right click C drive/ Properties/defrag. It could take an hour or more.

Or Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Defrag.

What OS are you running.

rawprawn 11:03 10 Feb 2011

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt
1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 10 Feb 2011

Operating system?

woodchip 16:25 10 Feb 2011

Anti-Virus may be doing a auto scan of your PC, if its only a single CPU it will stop other things working until its stopped, or it will slow things from loading

tes 16:34 10 Feb 2011

operating system -windows7
athon x 4 cpu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 10 Feb 2011

click here

try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command propmt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)