Strange PC hanging problem

joelmb 00:16 27 Apr 2004

I hope someone can help me here - I've not had any problems with my AMD Duron 1.2Ghz PC for for ages. Tonghit I started noticing it was making very faint *beep* > *click* noises, two in a row then silence, then two in a row. It did this about 4 times, then it froze completely forcing me to reset. On resetting, after a short time it does this again. I switched off for 10 mins and so far is ok....

I wonder if, as its warmer than it has been for quite a few months (room temp is about 25-30 degrees i'd guesstimate) whether its overheating? I noticed a while ago there was the sound of a fan sounding like it was dying. (After some time of not hearing this I guessed maybe it was just dust caught.)

However I went into the bios earlier to discover ive only got a rpm speed showing for one cpu fan although two are listed - should it show two speeds? (i.e should i have two fans?) it's a Soltek SL75 KAV/-X motherboard but the manual isny much help. The cpu temperature at the point of looking in the bios was 50 degrees and rising - I've no idea what the safe temp is.

So could this be the problem, that it's missing a fan and thus overheating in the current warm spell?

Please help if you can! I urgently need this PC to work on.

Thanks.

woodchip 00:22 27 Apr 2004

Yep CPU overheat

hugh-265156 00:48 27 Apr 2004

click here may help a bit and let you know what your computer is trying to tell you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?