Strange File appeared on Desktop from nowhere!

Sapins 19:36 28 Aug 2003

Notepad will not open it, too large, and when asked if I want to use Wordpad and I say yes I get the message "There was a failure launching Wordpad" I can open this file with MSHTA from the open with list.(what is MSHTA?)

I am then presented with 14 lines of symbols, letters and numbers,then I get the same symbols etc; interspersed with the names from my address book, there are no e-mail addresses given.

The first line is as follows:

?ËËuO'XÀOyV?rX??kD,,lDkD,,¼?D,,tä! (the D has a small horizontal line across the middle of the left side of the letter, probably not important but I cannot re-produce it from the Character Map.

Properties tells me it is a 220KB file which amounts to 14 pages when I try to print it out!

I would like to know where this file came from and can I safely delete it?

Q-Bie 19:38 28 Aug 2003

Try running scandisk. It's possible its a corrupted file.

Barrie_G 19:39 28 Aug 2003

delete it, and leave it in your recycle bin for a few days if you have any problems you can restore it from there or write it to floppy before you delete it.

powerless 19:39 28 Aug 2003

interspersed - Thats a big word.

Have you updated Windows recently there is an update that causes a mysterious but known file to appear.

It is to do with the Address book!

~

Sapins 19:52 28 Aug 2003

Q-Bie - If it is a corrupted file why did it appear on the Desktop out of the Blue so to speak?

Barrie_G - I have saved a copy of it in My Documents, do I still need to save it to a floppy?

Powerless - Just having a "Big word day" and relying on ieSpell to keep me in line. I haven't updated Windows but I have installed, under auto, shortened version just for you;-) some critical updates, could it be from there?

Thanks for the unbelievability,beat that Powerless ;-), of your swift replies, much appreciated.

Regards,

Sapins

Barrie_G 19:57 28 Aug 2003

No you dont need to still save it to floppy, I just thought that it would have made more sense that if you were deleting it to save it off your pc rather than in a different location on it.

powerless 20:25 28 Aug 2003

Yes the critical updates have caused it.

Note when you use the address book again it may reappear.

There is no fix. Just delete.

bazbazbaz 20:33 28 Aug 2003

I've got this odd file that just appeared, the file name's "~" (is that called a tilda?) - is this the same thing you've all been talking about?

powerless 20:36 28 Aug 2003

Yup ~

Sapins 23:09 28 Aug 2003

Thanks again for all your replies. I will just delete it each time it appears.

Regards,

Sapins

hssutton 23:24 28 Aug 2003

After a while it does get a little annoying. Ive just looked in the recycle bin and I have numerous of the little devils.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)