Stopping Scandisk after faulty shutdown!

TonyV 20:04 07 Feb 2005

I have recently had my machine re-formatted and it now works well after its' spring/Winter clean!
I have now put all the programmes etc back on and it still works fine. However, occasionaly, it kicks back and I have to shut down with out closing Windows 98SE correctly. This means that when I start again, the Scandisk runs.

Before I had it reformatted, I had it set to not start after such a faulty shutdown. As ever, I've forgotten how I stopped it from running. Anyone got any ideas? I've a sneaking suspicion it was a check mark in the initial BIOS set-up.

Thanks.

Dorsai 20:28 07 Feb 2005

To be honest, I always let the auto scan run after a faulty shut-down. It has rarely finds a problem. But It is the time there is a problem that you will be thankful it was found.

It certainly beats a re-format and re-install, waiting that extra few mins for the scan to run.

You can always hit ESC and just bypass it, after all.

TonyV 20:39 07 Feb 2005

Dorsai

Yes, you are right, but I just think it is neater to run it when I want to rather than when it thinks it has to!

I run it on a regular basis anyway alomg with the Defrag element.

Thanks though!

Kalb 22:14 07 Feb 2005

Just seen your thread...to disable Scandisk in Win98

Start...run...type msconfig...opens at General tab...click on Advanced (bottom right)...opens at Advanced Troubleshooting Settings...tick Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown...OK

TonyV 22:47 07 Feb 2005

Kalb

Many thanks. That is what I was looking for. Sorry I didn't come back earlier. but I had to see Ellen MacArthur do her stuff!!

Thanks

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)