Stillcan't set up network on NTL Broadband

Mark-335400 17:22 08 Jun 2003

About 3 weeks ago I had NTL 150K broadband installed, as I was at work when the engineers called I left them a note stating that I run 3 computers on a network and would like to access the internet through each of these machines (one at a time-not all at once).
The engineers rang whilst I was at work and said that they couldnt set the broadband up via the network but would install it on one pc via USB.
This at first didnt appear a problem as I simply used the broadband cd and set up each pc to access the broadband via the SMC USB connection suplied by NTL and simply unplugged the USB and connected it to the pc I was using at the time. However I have finally got fed up with tripping over the cable as its moved betwen the pc's and the dislocated necks that come about as a result of crawling under the desk trying to plug in the USB connection so if anyone can tell me how to configure the network shown below I would be extremely grateful..

a. 3 computers on a home network using a 100 hub and ethernet network cards and configured as 192.168.0.1 and then 2 and then 3 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

b. Broadband connection is via a "set top" box

c. I have purchased a USB ethernet adapter from my local computer shop and removed NTL'S SMC and tried to configure it with the aim of setting up a "second" network on each pc for broadband access but the system cant see the modem in the set top box BUT once SMC is reconfigured and installed it works without any problems

d. I have tried hooking the ethernet network to the set top box but again no joy

It appears that the NTL Broadband can only work via USB and it will only also work with SMC USB adapters

..ANYBODY PLEASE GIVE ME A CLUE as its driving me nuts

PS 2 pof the pc's run Windows XP and the 3rd runs Windoes ME

Rayuk 17:27 08 Jun 2003

Easiest way would be to instal a router.
Then you can use them all at once or independantly without main pc having to be switched on.

Rayuk 17:30 08 Jun 2003

Sorry
re "NTL Broadband can only work via usb" I have a Netgear router which is connected from the set top box cat5 cable then to 2 pcs [via onboard nics]works a treat.

hugh-265156 18:19 08 Jun 2003
  jazzypop 18:33 08 Jun 2003

In conjunction with huggy71's link, see also click here

I strongly recommend a router, for minimal inconvenience. I use a Netgear FR114P, which has the added advantage of a print server (connect the printer to the router, always available to each PC).

The USB connection will be a problem for the overwhelming majority of printers. Your set-top box will most likely have an RJ45 connector on the back, with an Ethernet cable coming from it to the USB device. Get rid of the USB device, and connect the Ethernet cable directly to the router.

hugh-265156 18:49 08 Jun 2003

see click here for the various modems and manuals etc.

Mark-335400 22:58 08 Jun 2003

Thanks all for the replies, unfortunately I had to rush off out straight after I had posted this thread, so please accept my apologies for only just posting a reply (11.05 pm). I will look at all the suggestions and post a reply monday as it will probably be later on tonight before I manage to check out all the links,,,in the meantime thanks

Mark-335400 22:58 08 Jun 2003

Thanks all for the replies, unfortunately I had to rush off out straight after I had posted this thread, so please accept my apologies for only just posting a reply (11.05 pm). I will look at all the suggestions and post a reply monday as it will probably be later on tonight before I manage to check out all the links,,,in the meantime thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?