Startup windows

phil.smith 10:40 22 Apr 2007

I recently downloaded some updates from Windows. Previously when I started my computer it went straight to the main desktop. Now I have to click the "Login" button before it will take me to the desktop. How can I change this back so that it goes straight to the desktop please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 22 Apr 2007

To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quatations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

phil.smith 10:45 22 Apr 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will do!

Phil

phil.smith 10:18 23 Apr 2007

I have done as you suggest Fruit Bat but now when I start up I get a window that says unable to login and I then have to click OK which takes me back to the original Log in screen. Can I re tick the box in control userpasswords2 to take me back to where I started?

I am Spartacus 10:23 23 Apr 2007

Try TweakUI from click here

Once installed go to Logon, Autologon and put a tick in the 'Log on automatically.....' box.

phil.smith 10:36 23 Apr 2007

Have tried that but the box is already ticked and I still get Unable to Log on due to password restrictions.

I really would like to get back to automatic login.

smokingbeagle 10:45 23 Apr 2007

Think this happened to me when I downloaded the .NET updates.
Go into Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Local Users and Groups / Users and delete the .NET accounts.

Grambo 13:27 23 Apr 2007

had the same problem......and resolved it

click here

smokingbeagle 13:38 23 Apr 2007

.NET is still installed using my method - if you need it.

Grambo, yours is probably the ideal solutin if you don't need .NET

phil.smith 14:10 23 Apr 2007

Smokingbeagle thanks but I can't find Local User and Groups in Computer Management.

phil.smith 15:18 23 Apr 2007

I have found an ASP.NET account in User Groups under Control Panel - should I delete this account?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?