startup failure

rrussgriffin 18:36 25 Apr 2003

Please help. I have a problem that i can turn my pc on and sometimes it is ok. Then when i try to start it again after it has run for a while it will not start.If i let it cool down for a while it seems to be ok. I am running xp i have checked all the leads and the ram. Everything seems to start ok, lights come on and fans run. When it won't startup i have noticed i do not get a bleep and the monitor doesn't come on. I hope this makes sense. Thanks. Russ.

sunnysingh 20:53 26 Apr 2003

I had this on my gateway - it is your fan - is it working - open up the case and chk if it is rotating ok. also could be a component on motherboard that is malfunctioning and over heating - there is a memtest program in Jun issue of PC advisor - which lets u chk internal components...

rrussgriffin 00:53 27 Apr 2003

Sunnysingh....Which fan am i checking ?

rrussgriffin 00:57 27 Apr 2003

Sunnysingh....Also could you send the address for the memtest...thanks

DieSse 02:45 27 Apr 2003

It's also very possible it could be the power supply - I've actually seen this symptom on faulty power supplies.

And I suppose it might also be the motherboard - but my favourite for most likely would be the PSU.

In my opinion, it's not so likely to be overheating, which would more likely cause problems when the system was actually running.

sunnysingh 21:31 28 Apr 2003

cant find the web site - but then again i would say PSU is also a likely problem - intermittent shutdown has occured in our company due to PSU - the fan is less likely - the fan i was talking about is your external one - at back of pc - u may need to remove the dirt and dust - but after 2nd opinon i would say PSU more likely needs replacing..

rrussgriffin 21:39 28 Apr 2003

It is not an intermittent shutdown problem.. The comp does not shutdown on it's own if thats what you mean..I have a problem that i can turn my pc on from cold and it is ok. Then when i try to start it again after it has run for a while it will not start.If i let it cool down for a while it seems to be ok. Do you still think it's the PSU as i don't want to go and buy another one to find the problem is there. Thanks. Russ.

rrussgriffin 01:32 23 May 2003

Could it also be a RAM problem. I have put DDR Ram in and the problem seems to of started since then. Cheers. Russ

AndySD 01:39 23 May 2003
  Djohn 01:44 23 May 2003

The mention of ram could be important in this case, do you know the make and model of your motherboard?

Also what type of ram you had prior to the new type?

How many sticks of memory have you got in the PC?

If you can answer these three questions, someone may be able to advise further. J.

rrussgriffin 20:38 23 May 2003

Djohn, Motherboard is a k7s5a socket A. the ram i was using was pc133, 512 meg two sticks. The ram i am using is now DDR 512meg pc2100 one stick. I don't recall the make of the old ram but i can look inside for the one i am using now i needed. Cheers. Russ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?