startpage.19.J infected my PC

MikejgL 20:17 18 Apr 2005

I'm sure I'm not the only one! Can anyone help me get rid of it?

VoG II 20:21 18 Apr 2005

Try a² click here

Tycho 23:41 26 May 2005

AVG detects it but cannot, as far as I can tell, get rid of it.

T

Tycho 23:41 26 May 2005

AVG detects it but cannot, as far as I can tell, get rid of it.

T

johnnyrocker 23:47 26 May 2005

what os , what anti spyware etc on board?

johnny.

Tycho 00:06 27 May 2005

I am not at all sure that I should be hijacking this thread but it seems to have been dormant for a while.

I am trying to sort out a colleagues laptop running XP Home SP1. Her Norton AV was monthes out of date so I uninstalled it and installed AVG. AVG did not detect it on the first run but I then upgraded with all the latest bits and it found two trojans: Downloader and Startpage 19.J.

I use AVG to delete Downloader and that seems to have gone. I have deleted dozens of copies of Startpage and it immediately comes back again. It is not reinfecting from the internet because I have been through the routine a few times while disconnected.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

T

Tycho 00:07 27 May 2005

I have not yet tried A squared. Do I need to get rid of AVG before I instal Asquared?

T

VoG II 07:40 27 May 2005

No.

g0slp 07:46 27 May 2005

Did you disable System Restore before deleting Startpage? I'm not familiar with this particular trojan, but from threads on similar problems that seems to be a necessary action.

(Obviously don't forget to reactivate afterwards!).

Hope this helps.

Tycho 07:47 27 May 2005

Thanks, VoG.

That is the best sort of answer. even I as a slow reader don't take long to absorb the import of that!

T

Tycho 09:09 27 May 2005

No I didn't. I use W2K normally and don't know how to disable system restore. I imagine that it's easy to fnd out from the help, though.

I have a go in a few minutes.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?