starting win98se

BODS 07:32 27 Mar 2006

hi, my pc amd xp1600 runs win98se.512 mem 2x 40gb h/disks dvdrw dvd rom, until 2 days ago worked ok but now at start up goes throu post screen shows win98ogo then dislays a message while initialzing device config pc just hangs at this, anyone have ideas what has caused this

mgmcc 09:13 27 Mar 2006

Try this - immediately after powering on tap the "F8" key until the Boot Menu is displayed and then select the option to boot to "Command Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt, type:

SCANREG /RESTORE

and press Enter. Select a registry from a date when the PC booted properly and press "R" to restore it. After the restoration you will be prompted to Restart. Press "R" again to restart the PC.

Wak 09:15 27 Mar 2006

I assume you've run the System File Checker??
Go to Start/ Run. Type SFC in the box, click OK.
You may need the Win 98SE CD to replace any corrupt or missing files.

bjh 09:17 27 Mar 2006

Using a Win98 startup disk (available from click here if you don't have one)
boot to the c:\ prompt (you may need to config your BIOS to boot from floppy)

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore

This will check your registry, and also allow you to restore a previous registry that booted successfully

Hope this helps

woodchip 09:19 27 Mar 2006

To Run SFC the Prompt as to say C:\WINDOWS

woodchip 09:22 27 Mar 2006

PS

SFC.exe resides in C:\Windows\System folder

Stuartli 09:31 27 Mar 2006

SCANREG /RESTORE saved a lot of heartache when I used to use Windows 98SE - great to just pick a previous working point...:-)

By the way have you also installed the final release of the "Unofficial" Windows 98SE Service Pack?

It can be found at:

click here

BODS 09:38 27 Mar 2006

thanks to all who gave advice to above problem, used the scanreg /restore win 98se up and running appears trouble due to avg anti virus prog no longer in use

thanks once again to all

CHAIRLEG 09:53 27 Mar 2006

Noted.

Wak 12:48 27 Mar 2006

Quite right, Woodchip. Obviously, my brain was still in neutral so early on a Monday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?