starting from scratch

guzzunda 14:29 05 Jan 2011

how do i wipe my computer and reinstall windows ive got problems and dont know how to start.

john bunyan 14:42 05 Jan 2011

Google "Clean Reinstall" and follow advice.
An example:
click here

Before you do I would assemble all your installation discs, and copy all your data (My Documents" etc + e Mail) to a USB HD (do a virus and malware scan on it). Then you can get back the data after the clean reinstall.I hope you have virus and anti malware programmes!

Ian in Northampton 15:22 05 Jan 2011

What john bunyan says - PLUS - hopefully, you have your installation disks, and they have all your drivers on them. If you don't, job one is to get copies of all your drivers and stick them on a CD. I use DriverMax - it works pretty well.

The key, as john bunyan implies, is to make sure you've got copies of everything you'll need later - before you start the reinstall. That's not just all your documents, music, pictures and so on - it's also your favourites and cookies, your email account settings and so on. You could also use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.

Reinstalling Windows is fine (God knows, I've had to do it enough times...) but it's like any other task: success lies in the preparation. Once you've found and copied everything you need, the process itself should be pretty simple: boot from your Windows CD (ensure that the CD drive is the first boot device in the BIOS) and follow the on-screen instructions. One of those will involve formatting your hard drive, which is what will take you back to a nice, clean place from which to start.

Good luck!

mooly 16:45 05 Jan 2011

You may have a recovery partition on your HDD that will reinstall it all back to day one. Check the user manual for your pc/laptop

My advice is do a clean install of just windows and make an image of it (Acronis).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?