start up problem

Boy Zone 18:27 28 Mar 2010

Hi,

For some unknown reason my PC is taking ages to start up, over 5 mins. I have run msconfig and have very few progs running, and hardly any icon on the desktop.
It used to open very quickly.
Running winXP home, zone alarm and AVG.

Many thanks

Press Man 18:42 28 Mar 2010

Download Malwarebytes free edition click here install it then update it and run a full scan. See if anything turns up?

Boy Zone 18:48 28 Mar 2010

I've already run this together with A2

It's only become very slow over the past week, and I've not installed any new program.

Boy Zone 19:33 28 Mar 2010

No

Boy Zone 08:09 29 Mar 2010

I've run msconfig, I've got 40gb hard drive space, and have only Zone Alarm firewall,

As I've said it only started about a week ago, and I have gone back to a restore point of 2 weeks ago but still no difference.

Does anyone know how I can identify the start up progs in msconfig, whats need and whats not?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 29 Mar 2010

Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware
List them here and we can tell which you need.

and the services that run in the background. click here

Press Man 13:28 29 Mar 2010

You could try starting in the "diagnostic mode". This should load the basic devices and services required to start up. Go to Start - Run, type msconfig - General tab and click on "Diagnostic Start Up". See if your start up time changes? If it starts as you believe it should, then it may indicate an issue with software/services/drivers/firewall or anti-virus conflicts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Amy Cesal's Play-Doh infographics bring fun and colour to datavis

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Modifier un PDF : les meilleurs éditeurs PDF