Start Up Problem

winksey 10:11 04 Jan 2007

When I try to start my computer after it has been shut down it will not start i.e I get the busy light for a minute or so then nothing but the power light, I have managed to start it up by pressing the restart button but it took around 10 attempts and I noticed that my cd drives flashed on and off repeatedly before it kicked in. I am running XP home, can anyone help.

skidzy 10:14 04 Jan 2007

Check all leads and connections,though this may be the psu failing or overheating....check all fans are clear of dust.

Worst case it could be the hdd failing :-((

winksey 10:30 04 Jan 2007

Thanx skidzy, my system is quite old so you're probably spot on about the hdd but I was hoping that was not the case however it was very dusty and I have given it a good clean and am now going to attempt a shut down so if I dont let you know the outcome I am not being rude it just means I cannot get it started thanx again and Fingers crossed.

aitch2 10:35 04 Jan 2007

I had a similar problem on my old computer some years ago. The problem was the actual on/ off switch. If it is one off the earlier push on/ push off type they do wear considerably. Hopefully, this is a much easier solution before delving into the other aspects of psu etc.
Aitch

mattyc_92 11:45 04 Jan 2007

When does this problem 'kick in'? As the Boot-Screen comes up? on the POST screen?

Boot-screen suggests Hard-disc failing or software glitch
POST screen suggests BIOS failing, Hard-disc failing or CD drives failing

winksey 19:24 09 Jan 2007

Thanx for your help but i could not get the computer started after shutting it down im presuming it was the hard drive but I have not had it checked out, oh well was due a new computer anyway, thanx again. Winksey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?