Hot Topics

Start menu, edge browser and win mail icon gone

Hetti 16:08 13 Mar 2016

My PC running win 10 booted OK this morning, but I noticed Edge browser and win mail Icon has dissapeared, I cannot acsess the start menu eithier when I click the win icon nothing happens. I did a bit of online searching and tried a couple of the suggestions I found,but none worked. Below are the things tried so far. 1. sfc /scannow this said no file were corupt. 2. I got to the control panel by right click on the win icon tried to do reset from there but the link that states "If your having problems use settings to try resetting PC", I try to click on that but nothing happens. I dont know how to get to settings without start menu. I also tried system restore, but that is not sucsessful,I get error message 0x80070005 it suggests I try again with virus software disabled I do so but the result is the same error message.

Can anyone help please.

Hetti 16:16 13 Mar 2016

I have also tried this.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

1. Press CTRL+Shift+ESC, to open the Task manager.

2. Click File > Run New Task.

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

4. Type Powershell.

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml'; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot/Restart the computer.
    Didnt work eithier.

theDarkness 16:26 13 Mar 2016

Avast,Avira,Comodo and Malwarebytes all had similar interface issues for me. The system would run fine, but wish one of those programs installed, on occasion it would lock up with the start button doing nothing upon clicking, or the screen would completely blank out with missing icons.

If you have removed all live manually installed security software to test the system (you may also wish to use official removal tools if available to remove all traces), and have restarted with the same problem, do you have any other programs set to run at startup?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 13 Mar 2016

Notifications (taskbar bottom right) - All settings - Update and security - Recovery

Hetti 17:01 13 Mar 2016

the Darkness I did not remove anti virus (Kaspersky) Malware bytesjust disabled it. Might have to do this next if you think is may help. Fruit Bat When I hover over the task bar lower right I get a "New notifcations" sign but when i click it right or left click there are only two optins one is Open action centre, other one is turn on quite hours, i tried open action centre but nothing at all happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 13 Mar 2016

try typing

rstrui

in the new task box in task manager see if that takes you into system restore.

Hetti 18:17 13 Mar 2016

Fruit bat Yes it does take mr to system restore, however that wont work I get errorr 0x80070005 message, was trying to get to "Settings" to try a reset

Hetti 18:56 13 Mar 2016

Will check back tomorrow have to leave it for now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 13 Mar 2016

0x80070005 is usually access denied when trying to update windows (had this trying to update XP sp3)

could be Kaspersky stopping you it changes things in the registry to stop tampering.

I used a command line tool and a script to change permissions back then

try this it works for W8 and 10 shouldn't be any different.

1. Press Windows Key + R combination, put following in Run dialog box and hit Enter:

C:\Users\AppData\Local

Substitute with your user account name and C with system root drive if different.

1. In the Local folder, scroll down, look for Packages folder and right click select Properties.

2. In the following window, give permission to everyone in the user name as full control. Click Advanced.

3. in this window, make sure that every user have full control.If you find any user name without full control, click Add.

4. In following window click Select a principal, then type users in Select User or Group box, click Check Names. Lastly, check Full control for Basic permissions section.

5. Click Apply then OK in the windows shown step 5, 4, 3. In this way, every user has full control regarding permissions.

6. Reboot and see if you can then system restore.

Hetti 14:48 14 Mar 2016

Thanks Fruit Bat, First of all sorry but I dont know what the following means. Substitute with your user account name and C with system root drive if different. I tried to use the C:\Users\AppData\Local in run box but get the following.. "The location is not available, C:\users\AppData is unavailable, If the location is on this PC make sure device/drive is connected or disc is inserted try again. If loction is on a network make sure your connected to network or internet try again, If the location still cant be found it may have been moved or deleted"

Is this because I need to change the C:\Users\AppData\Local to my own infomation, sorry but Im not very techie, I appreciate you trying to help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:02 14 Mar 2016

C:\Users\Hetti?\AppData\local

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei