Stand alone Word database?

Trikie 00:31 08 Oct 2010

I have a club membership Works database with 450 names, with 16 information fields for each of them.

I will be handing it over to someone who uses Word and cannot open the Works document. E-mailing it as a .dbf file loses some of the data so I want to create a new database in Word by manually re-typng all the information.

However I can't find anywhere to buy just a Word database programme - I don't want to pay too much as it will be a once only use.

Can anyone point me to a possible source?

A major use of the database is to produce mailing labels for a monthly magazine. If it's possible to get round the problem by using a spreadsheet is it possible to use this as a basis for the labels as i do with the database?

lotvic 01:11 08 Oct 2010

"handing it over to someone who uses Word"

We need more details of the programs involved:

Do they have Microsoft Office? If so which version.

You shouldn't need to manually re-type all the information.

KremmenUK 07:07 08 Oct 2010

Word is not a database program.

If the new user doesn't have Excel or Access to reference databases then I would suggest one of the free office suites.

wiz-king 08:14 08 Oct 2010

The Works database is not compatible with most other programs and as Kremmen UK said your taker will need at least a spreadsheet program. I suggest you start with a copy of OpenOffice which is free and down loadable to see if will open the Works file, if not save the database as a spreadsheet or a CSV file and do it that way.
I think Works was created to be as incompatible as possible!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?