stand alone media player suggestions

john12 08:37 18 Nov 2017

Hi. I am after a standalone media player, not one that runs on windows or mac, but something you can place on an external drive and boot off, something totally independant. And it must have an audio equalizer.

I used xmbc a few years ago, but that has gone and the new stuff is all windows or os based.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks. John.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:51 18 Nov 2017

I don't think such a thing exists they all need a computer of some sort to run them.

or you have a stand alone media system similar to a kodi box or old mp3 player.

john12 07:47 19 Nov 2017

Are you sure there is no such thing. There was xbmc a few years ago which you boot from a flash drive. xbmc used a small linux based os to run the media player only, the advantage is that with windows os there are a whole load of clashing and competing processes running in the background which reduces audio / video performance. I have proven this by using software like fidelizer which shuts down background processes and allows more resources to be passed onto the media player, giving a significant rise in a/v performance. For this reason i am trying to find a media player which runs on a simple os, preferably a standalone one. Many thanks for your help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)